200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 225,353

Tuesday 6/3 Surgery Today

Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Hi all,

I'm a bit stressed today. Within 1-2 hours, I will be taken to the OR. I've been promised that they won't make me lie down and aggravate the awful leg pain I am having. They will put pillows behine me, set up the anesthesia, give me oxygen and put me asleep sitting up. Then, they will lie me down before positioning me on my tummy for my second major and intensive surgery since April 17. I was totally good about my previous surgery--actually all of them. However, now that it has been confirmed that I am going to ICU, I am a mess.

Women have some special issues when they are lying on their stomach during surgery. Our faces, mouths, tongues swell up and the way they keep us breathing is by the breathing tube. That is not a bit of fun and my last experience with it is way too raw for me to be doing this again.

My doctor orders a specialized EEG where they use specialized paste to attach a bar to both ankles and add in the kind of little shocks of an EMG. Their machine gets 900 pieces of raw data and saves them in the machine. During surgery, the machine is again attached to the patient and it will let the surgeon know if any of their work with the spinal cord has moved the pateint out of the way they normally function.

That's all fine and good--and why am I describing this to you? Yesterday after I had my EEG, I fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up my feet were awful. The left one (which is my "normal" one was burning and swollen and covered with a horrid rash. My right foot looked the same, but of course, I didn't feel it the same way. I figured that it was caused by something with the EEG. I was told that nobody ever had an allergic reaction to the glue before. There's always a first time--and I tried putting ice bags on my feet. My third shift nurse took one look and called it an allergic reaction and got me an order for benadryl.

The bright side is that when I took benadryl along with flexeril (muscle relaxer...) I got 6 hours of uninterupted sleep. I got up at 4 this morning. I have taken two naps and am trying to occupy myself so I don't feel so nervous. I have one more scrub down with antiseptic wipes yet, and then, its all about the surgery.

My IV is running low and I think that means its time for me to sign off. I'll be back when I am able.

Gentle hugs,
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • _LINDA
    I am glad your surgeons are being considerate of your needs! I sincerely hope they will finally fix this and that it will be the last time you need this surgery..
    Will anxiously be waiting for news...
    {{{gentle hugs}}}
    1718 days ago
    Hugs & Prayers
    1718 days ago
    My thoughts & prayers are with you! emoticon
    1719 days ago
    Try not to worry. Leave the worry to God. He will take care of you. I am praying for you. emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1719 days ago
    Sylvia I am hoping everything goes without a hitch today. I would be nervous too. I always used to tell my patients when they were getting ready for surgery, "Remember the Great surgeon will be there guiding the hands of your surgeon." I hope that helps. Hugs and prayers. Pat
    1719 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.