200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 225,353

Tuesday 5/27 Progress and Problems

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Hi all,

I am quite frustrated. This nasty pain in my right leg is horrid in every way. My appointment on the 15 wasn't very helpful. I got there at 3 and had x-rays taken. Then I went to the spine clinic and I had an exam by one of the residents. About 2 hours later, I saw my doctor and several students--and had another exam. He told me flat out that he had no idea what was wrong with my leg. He changed my pain meds and ordered a CT scan.

Here is when the insurance company got into my life and made things messy. First of all, we were finished with Dr. Mendoza around 5:30 and the nursing staff who manned the desk had left. He asked me if I would mind having my scan at home--sure, that makes it a lot easier. However, Blue Cross decided that I couldn't have a CT ordered by an Iowa doctor in Illinois. I gave the nurse my PCP's information and she called them. He was on vacation and I wouldn't be able to go until after memorial day. What kind of nonsense was this??

I got my pain meds on the 15th and they had ordered 1-2 every 4 hours. I got 80 of them and I realized that I was going to be out by the 22nd or the 23rd. I called my doctor and they ordered a refill. I called to find out when I could pick them up and found out that the insurance company said that I couldn't have them until the 26th. Nobody could explain that to me. I tried to call Blue Cross and got a stupid recording, I screamed at it, which did no good, but I was pretty frustrated.

The next morning, I did get them on the phone--and first of all, they denied refusing my medication. (Hmm, the pharmacy sells medications for money--I can't understand why they would lie about this...) Anyway, I called CVS and sure enough, my medication had been authorized (but the clerk couldn't tell me when.) Hmm, and as soon as I got off the phone with them, my doctor's office called and told me that I had an appointment on Friday for my CT Scan. Insurance companies--bah, humbug...

The scan was telling. If you don't know, you lie down on a rounded bench like piece of equipment that moves you in and out of a big round machine that takes pictures at various levels. I looked at it and thought--oh no, I'm going to have trouble. The tech helped me to sit down at almost the end and her helper brought a wedge to place under my knees. I sat on the table and they tried to help me to lie down. When my back got to an angle of about 60-45 degrees, my leg started pulling and I started screaming. (My worst word was p00p, amazingly enough.) I was in so much pain I couldn't stand it. The tech was kind and sweet and she brought out about 8 pillows to stuff under my back to keep me in a position that I could stand. She added in a rolled up blanket and we got the scan done with those accommodations.

I cannot lie down straight--just cannot do it because it sets my right leg off in pain that radiates in my upper leg simultaneously with my lower leg and my foot. It is serious pain that I cannot tolerate at all. Since I have a history of tolerating all kinds of lousy stuff, this is a big deal.

Today, I got a call from my PCP. They wanted to know if my surgeon had called me about my scan yet. I told them that he hadn't and the nurse said that Dr. Ray would see me at the end of his day, that there was a problem, and that we couldn't wait to deal with it. (Oh my.) They asked for my surgeon's phone number and I gave it to them. They called me back in about ten minutes and apparently, whatever my PCP was seeing in my spine was something he had intentionally done during my surgery and neither of us should worry about it. OK--great, but I asked about the leg pain that precipitated my reason for the scan. They told me to call the surgeon back, but I got an answering machine. (I have an appointment on Friday morning...)

I am muddling, my friends. I know I was told to expect that, but I didn't expect to have this wild and crazy leg pain. I finally got the nerve to go to Weight Watchers tonight. Besides my lousy weigh-in (I gained 8 pounds...), I realized that couldn't sit in their meeting room chairs. They were too low and didn't have arms and I couldn't get myself down on them and I knew that I couldn't get myself up either. So, I stood through the meeting and at one point, I tried to hold myself up against the wall--which set my leg off and I let out a sharp little pain sound.

That is about the whole story with me. I went to church this week and did some whining when I lowered myself onto the pew and it took two people to help me get up. It isn't going well at the almost 6 weeks mark.

On a bright side--I found a dress for the wedding online. I got it and it's a nice fit, so pretty. It is a light turquoise color and it looks a bit like a top and skirt, with a jacket. The top and jacket are both small pleats and the skirt is a soft material. The top and jacket are both beaded around the neck and outside edges. It is very nice and my future daughter in law really liked it. We got together to cook burgers outside Sunday evening and did a bunch of wedding talk. It was fun--I'll be helping with invitations and postcards this week. They have pretty much organized everything--they are paying for the whole thing themselves because they said they felt they should do that. I love how responsible they are. Anyway, it was really fun.

That's about it for now...Take care of yourselves!
Gentle hugs,
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • _LINDA
    So very sorry to hear all this :(( Bad enough to be in pain, but to have to jump through hoops with that insurance. Can't believe all you are getting out to do with that horrible pain! I hope one of your specialists can come up with an answer soon. It does sound like sciatic pain. I had a friend who once had a nurse give her an injection, miss the spot it was intended and caused a hematoma in her sciatic nerve. She was in severe pain for years and on the strongest pain medicine they could give her before it finally healed :( It was exactly as you describe all the way down the leg to the foot.. Maybe it was injured during this massive surgery.
    My thoughts are with you,
    {{{gentle hugs}}}
    1789 days ago
    I am so sorry that you are having such pain - keep going after them to get the answers you need
    1790 days ago
    I hope you can get some answers soon. I knew this would be a lengthy recovery and knew you would have some pain but assumed it would lessen over time.

    I am not a fan of insurance companies and they should have never been given this kind of control.

    Your dress sounds great. I think it's wonderful that the kids are paying for their own wedding. You have raised an amazing bunch of young adults.
    1790 days ago
    Susie I was hoping when you recovered from surgical pain that you would be much more pain free. Looks like that is not the case. I hope the doctor will have some answers for you Friday. This has gone on long enough. Hugs and prayers coming your way.
    1790 days ago
    Oh, my dear Sylvia. I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with all this pain...and on top of that, to have to deal with insurance crap!

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1790 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.