200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 225,353

Wednesday, 5/14 Recovery Time

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Hi all,

I know that I have been incredibly unavailable since surgery. The fact of the matter is that I have been busy doing a lot of nothing and I haven't cared about eating, eating healthy nor my weight. I haven't done a good job of connecting with anyone.

My surgery went reasonably well. There was a complication that made it last an extra hour and worried my husband to tears. I'm sure glad that my friends kept calling him and that our daughter came to join him after she got off of work. (University Hospital is an hour and a quarter away from our home, so he was on his own for a good deal of the time.) They had difficulty with the lumbar fusion I had and had to do extra work that took an extra hour--it scared him when they contacted him and let him know. Anyway, the entire surgeries took just over 9.5 hours and I woke up with a tube down my throat and my hands restrained. That was not fun--they finally took the tube out around 9:30 on Friday morning. They let me have my mouth rinsed out, but I didn't get ice chips until that evening and my first clear liquid meal on Saturday morning. I stayed in ICU until Sunday evening because my blood pressure kept dropping way low and I needed a couple of transfusions. They were very kind and took awesome care of me.

I got to get out of bed for the first time after they moved me to the regular floor. I was surprised that went as easily when they let me up. I walked a short distance that day, and the next day, I walked further. I received excellent care on that floor too. They finally let me go home on Tuesday afternoon. I felt like I was more than ready--but the ride was scary and I felt every bump and pothole on the highway. Getting in the house was slow, but I made it. It turned out that getting in and out of my recliner was very difficult so my husband bought me a power lift chair which I love--it has helped me to be independent. I can now get up by myself and walk around the house as I want. Walking is not so hard.

My husband also had to buy me a new walker. I am now 2 inches taller than I was prior to my surgery. That is an amazing feeling--but my walker couldn't be made taller for me, so I have a new one so I can walk with appropriate posture. The bars holding my back together wouldn't let me bend in that position. Posture is something I have to focus on all the time so that I can make the right progress.

I went back last Friday to remove staples. I had 2 incision sites on my abdomen and a very long one on my back. They tried using the surgical glue that I had with my hip replacements and so on, but they had to go through so many layers of tissue that they needed to effectiveness of staples in several places. As always, having staples removed was unpleasant, but she got them--they had mixed with the surgical glue and were not terribly cooperative. She gave me steri-strips and the last of those came off over the weekend.

I was needing a refill on my pain meds, so I went through the piles of paperwork they gave me when I left last Friday and found out that the lousy pain I was having in my right foot and leg was one of those big "no no's." I called and the nurse checked with everyone--they added some muscle relaxers to my medications and called me on Monday. The med change didn't solve the problem. My right foot feels as if I walked in the mud and it is covering the bottom of my foot. Sometimes it tingles too. I also have major pain in my right calf and I also have pain in my right hip, side, and upper leg. Apparently this could be something big, so I am heading back to the hospital in about an hour.

As for me and my time--it has taken a while for me to be able to complete thoughts and do much of anything. I know it will be a month this week, but it doesn't seem like that. I sure understand why I needed so much time to recuperate. Time for me to go and get dressed--my husband knows how long some things take me and my insistence on doing things for myself. It's the one way I know I can help myself.

I can't promise that I'll be here daily, but I'll try to keep in touch regularly as this healing continues. This stuff with my right foot and leg is worrisome, but other than that, I am coming along nicely.

Thanks for being my friends!!
Gentle hugs,

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    I am so glad you wrote, I have been worried about you. Still sending prayers your way.
    1833 days ago
    It was good to hear from you. Seems like you have been away for a long time even though I know it has only been a month. I am glad you are doing so well with walking and getting around. I hope the problem with the numbness/pain in your leg isn't anything serious. Sounds as if the doctors are concerned and right on it. Best wishes and prayers coming your way. Hugs Pat
    1834 days ago
    I certainly hope this latest development is not a problem. You have been through enough. I am encouraged that you are getting around now. Bless your husband for getting that chair!!! Please let us know what you find out.
    1834 days ago
    Nice seeing the update, but right now your priority is your recovery. Hugs & Prayers!
    1834 days ago
  • MJRVIC2000
    Allow God to put a smile in your heart! God Bless YOU! Vic.
    1834 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.