100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 139,202


Sunday, March 09, 2014

Well I am back in the hospital. While I was in rehabilitation I was complaining about my calf muscles being so tight and was given stretches to do. I would do them but it didn't relieve the tightness much. As the week at home went on my calf kept getting more and more tight. Thursday night I noticed that my knee was starting to swell. I have had this happen before so didn't think too much about it as thought I might need a muscle relaxer and pain pills to get past the tight calf muscles. Friday after my standing therapy I started heading to bed and my leg was so sore and swollen that I was in tears. I then called the hospital to talk to a nurse. I told her about my stay with pneumonia and my leg. She said I should come in to the hospital to have the leg checked for a possible blood clot. When I got to the hospital they did a "Doppler" study on my leg. The doctor then gave me the bad news that I had a blood clot in the vein of my right leg and I was being admitted to the hospital. I have been told that this is a common thing to happen after being bedridden like I was with the pneumonia.

They took me to my room about 4 am Friday morning. I think I only got about 30-60 minutes of sleep after getting to my room as then had to go through all the admission questions even though I had answered most of them in the ER earlier. At the time I was admitted I was told that I couldn't have anything to drink until the doctor gave the ok. It was around 10 am when my doctor finally came in and was given a jug of water and then got my breakfast tray. He reinforced that I had the blood clot. He also said we had 2 options for treatment. One treatment would be the conservative approach of bed rest and blood thinners to dissolve the clot and the other option would be surgery. I said I didn't want surgery and he said no to that also as he said I wasn't strong enough to make it through surgery at this point.

Needless to say I have been laying here in the bed since early Friday morning watching TV, visiting with DH, DD and my sister and napping. They did a cat scan of my chest yesterday and today the doctor told me that they did find a couple small blood clots in my lungs. He is calling in a blood doctor to see me tomorrow so will see what happens from there. He did hint at the fact that I might be able to go home Tuesday. I did ask about my therapy packets as I haven't been able to do any of them since Friday night. He said maybe later this week to start doing them again.

When I go home I will be on Coumadin (blood thinner) for at least 6 months to prevent future blood clots. I will have to have a blood test monthly to check my clotting time while on the Coumadin so I hope that I don't have to be on it any longer than the 6 months.

Hopefully I will be home on Tuesday but will have to see what happens after seeing the other doctor tomorrow. Will keep you all informed as the week progresses.

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post