At this point in my life, the unfinished basement wins, and this is why:
11. I am not surrounded by mirrors on every side.
10. The drops of sweat that rain off of me can stay exactly where they are and dry up, without my concern for wiping it up for fear of offending another patron if I don't.
9. I can look as gross as I wanna look, and smell as bad as I can't help but smell and offend no one but myself and my angrycat in the process.
8. I use the workbench for my push-up modifications, which gives me about a 45-degree angle to work with. And when I'm ready for a steeper angle, I can use the old stereo console, then move down to the old angrycat-hair covered chair.
7. I can rewind my workout when I need a bit of a break or need to start over.
6. I can breathe as heavily as I need without offending others.
5. I can count, groan, grunt, and laugh at myself OUT LOUD and the only sideways glare I get is from...yes, my angrycat.
4. I can strip off sweaty clothes immediately upon completion of said workout and put them in the washer. I don't have to pack a bag of clean clothes to change into.
3. The unfinished basement gym is open 24/7.
2. To stimulate my intellect, I can take a rorschach test using the sweat drop patterns left on the mat. See images below.
Do you see the same image I do?
It's a sweaty smile! See???
Okay, I realize it's gross, but "face" it (pun intended), I've been snowed in, and I could use SOMETHING entertaining and funny to keep my spirits lifted when I'm trying to do push-ups against a plywood workbench!
And the #1 reason the unfinished basement wins: The only membership I pay is included in my monthly mortgage payment.
Best wishes to you all in giving your basement a good workout!