4,000-5,499 SparkPoints 4,057

Remedies for super dry hands? Tracking food advice?

Thursday, January 09, 2014

So I work in child care and wearing gloves to change diapers comes along with the territory, but in the wintertime my hands get SUPER DRY and cracked and even bleed and just physically hurt even when I'm not wearing the gloves. I don't know what scabies is, but from what I picture in my mind that is exactly what my hands look like. Like I've been stabbed by a million tiny razors.

I've tried SO many different lotions but my hands are so bad that even the unscented ones sting my hands upon application. I've tried straight up vaseline but same thing. I am at a loss and yet my hands are KILLING me.

Does anyone know any remedies for dry hands?

On a separate note, I've been really slacking on tracking my food. I do the mental check and I know roughly how many calories I've consumed and I honestly don't feel that bad about it because 90% of what I'm taking in is good for me (the other 10% being processed, but not necessarily BAD foods...). I'm struggling with this in my head because I feel like tracking and measuring out foods will help, but I don't want to be bound to it and obsess over it for the rest of my life and feel it's the only way to see results.

What do you guys do when it comes to tracking/measuring? Track religiously? Do a mental check? Not track at all and just eat whatever? I seriously need some advice so I can stop feeling guilty about not tracking.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    As far as dry hands go, I start with the vaseline and cotton gloves or socks at night. I recently bought some vitamin E oil at GNC and I like how that makes my hands feel. (Even put it on my dog who has really dry skin.) When my hands get REALLY BAD, (like you, they've gotten cracked and bleeding) I put Vicks vapo-rub on them. Clears my sinuses up at the same time - but it works. Avon has some really good hand creams. You can get little tubes for $0.79-$0.99. They are the Moisture Therapy Intensive Care and the Silicone Glove lotions. I hope one of these can help you.

    My food - I need to go back to measuring.
    2674 days ago

    Comment edited on: 1/10/2014 10:29:08 AM
  • STODD251
    O'Keefe's Working Hands was going to be my suggestion as well, but somebody beat me to it. I hear amazing things about that stuff. My parents sell it at their hardware store.

    As far as tracking, when I'm trying to maintain I don't feel the need to track. I generally know what I eat anyway and how many calories it is. However I'm more likely to let myself snack a little here and there if I don't have to account for every calorie. Therefore when I feel like I need to lose, I will track every bite so that I don't let myself slip up. Plus it's a good reason to avoid that bite of something. It's not worth eating it if you have to track it. Ultimately you need to do what works best for you.
    2675 days ago
  • CHANY009
    I don't know about the hands but I downloaded an app called my fitness tracker and I just update it as the day goes along and then when I have time put it in SP (or even if I don't at least it's tracked somewhere so I know the numbers are right!) I don't know if that helps but hopefully!
    2675 days ago
    Aquaphore works really good for dry skin and is also a skin protectant... As for tracking I feel it helps me remember what I had because sometimes I forget. Measuring is good its just like following directions for a recipe... But I don't do it for everything. Just whatever you feel you need to if its something you think you should measure/ track then I would. You could keep a journal if that is easier for you...
    2675 days ago
    O'Keefe's Working Hands Hand Cream. It's available at Bed, Bath & Beyond and it is fantastic!!
    2675 days ago
    Have you tried coconut oil? I use it for lots of things, and it seems to really help my dry skin. I'd recommend wetting your hands and then slathering it on (wetting your hands first allows the coconut oil to really let your skin soak in the moisture) and then putting on some soft gloves and wearing them like that to bed. Hope it helps! emoticon
    2675 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by SARAHST0T