40,000-49,999 SparkPoints 44,429


Thursday, December 12, 2013

The appointment with the vascular surgeon was for 1:30 PM and I got to his office at 1 PM--he finally saw me at 2 PM. He said I was to get to the hospital immediately, that he would call ahead, which was the Memorial hospital which I had never heard of and it was on Sheridan street and University Drive--and I could have sworn he said it was 8 blocks away--it wasn't.

I didn't eat or drink anything all day as I didn't know if they would have to take tests so I was hungry and thirsty! Looking for the hospital we passed a shopping center that had a Subway store so we stopped and each got the 2-6" customer appreciation subs that cost $2 each. I had the meatball and the cold cuts subs--and we were on our way to look for the Memorial hospital almost passing it by. I know I hadn't been in this neighborhood for at least 25 years and the hospitals I have been to like Broward General, Plantation and Holy Cross were all huge buildings taking up 2-4 city blocks and this one turned out to be in the back of a shopping center!

We went into what we thought was where you registered but the lady said we had to go to the Out Patient department so we did only to encounter 3 ladies dressed as Christmas trees!!!! They were really great, laughing it up, making us feel welcome and not just telling us where we had to go for me to register but taking us there.

The one thing I will say for all the people working there was that they are friendly and, without exception, did anything they could to help you. Though I never figured it out there were 3 different colored uniforms which indicated their status but if you wanted water or another pillow or anything you didn't have to worry about asking the wrong.

I was put in the ER while waiting for a room to open up and they could take preliminary tests. One of the ladies there not only got me a book to read but said she would see what she could do about getting me a dinner for later on---she did. Stephan and Gary, nurses in the ER, did everything they could to make me comfortable--a trait I found all the employees to have.

It would be awhile before I was moved to 308W designating the west wing. The room was obviously set up for 2 patients but a bed was missing so I had a private room which was almost immediately 'invaded' by Cleopatra and I mean that in a good, nice way. She was bubbly, smiling, happy and no matter how sick you may be she had you smiling and laughing. Cleopatra was just one of an innumerable amount of people who tended to me including Julie, Anna, Steve, Jean, Alceda, Danielle, to name a few, and Eric who was in charge 2 nights I was there. It seems most of the crew worked 12 hours shifts anywhere from 2-4 days.

Saturday and Sunday went by in a whirlwind as I got a CT at midnight, an ultrasound twice plus that annoying blood pressure, temperature and pulse checks at all times of the day and night. Blood was taken and I was seen by 4-5 doctors from an infectious disease specialist to a cardiologist. I, also, saw my vascular surgeon who on Monday told me he was going to cut the leg open and drain at least 30% of the blood. Was it a blood clot? A hermatoma? Cellulitis or an abscess? I still didn't know!

I kept on telling the vascular surgeon that I had to be discharged by Tuesday afternoon as I had to be in Miami to see and review the touring company of "We Will Rock You" and he said the operation would only take about 15 minutes, which he would do in the morning and I shouldn't have any problem making the show. Well I didn't make the show and for the first time in over 70 years I missed a performance of a show I was scheduled to see.

And from that point on everything went downhill including a 12 pound turkey that disappeared!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • RAINA413
    I loved your photo of the 3 ladies dressed as Christmas trees!!!! It was so good to hear that you were in such good hands. Sounds like everyone there is a pleasure to be around.
    Please keep us posted on whether it was a blood clot, hematoma, cellulitis or an abscess.
    1594 days ago
    I hope this has a happy ending!!! LOL
    1594 days ago
    emoticon , can't wait to hear the rest.
    1594 days ago

    Comment edited on: 12/12/2013 11:03:28 PM
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.