A Challenging Week
Sunday, November 10, 2013
As I wrote last week, I am participating in a monthlong challenge on the Positive Bloggers Team. (Details at the end of the blog.) I also decided to participate in a monthlong challenge on Low Carb - 50's+ Females team; there I chose to make sure I got in at least 10 minutes of exercise EVERY DAY (I'm a bit of Marathon Exerciser so some days see no exercise at all.) Someone else decided to track their food all month and I thought that sounded like a good challenge also so now I'm also tracking all my food for the month.
So here I am participating in 3 personal challenges!! Each of these challenges has kept my mind focused and attentive. I've been making better choices and I'm always on the lookout for new opportunities. It's been fun for me to see my progress and I am reminded of the early days on SP when I looked for something good that I had done for myself every day.
Challenging myself to accomplish small daily goals has been a really good step in the right direction for me; how are you challenging yourself?? (And I want answers!! At the end of the month, I'll be looking for new ways to challenge myself!!)
Enjoy your Sunday!
So here's week 1 of the Positive Bloggers Challenge.
1. What one thing are you thankful for this day?
Nov. 1 - I am thankful that a difficult situation with an elderly parent was resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
- Nov. 2 - a day for me, I'm feeling very peaceful.
- Nov. 3 - the beauty of nature and the opportunity to be outside and enjoy that beauty with a cherished friend
- Nov. 4 - all the resources available (especially online ones today) that lead me on new paths to inner peace
- Nov. 5 - an entire day of good choices on my part
- Nov. 6 - A job that I don't dread going to.
- Nov. 7 - My ability to handle the challenges of the day and stay calm and focused
- Nov. 8 - The realization that the things I worry about seldom come true (and knowing this makes me worry a whole lot less!)
- Nov. 9 - the amazing power of nature
2. What random act of kindness did you do today?
-Nov. 1 - One of my favorites: I put a dollar in a coffee vending machine for the next person to have a free cup. (I hadn't done this in a few days and during the week a coworker came up to me and said, "I just got a free cup of coffee. Someone left a dollar in the vending machine. I really liked hearing this because that time it wasn't me! Someone else does this also!!)
-Nov. 2 - I wrote an email of encouragement to a friend of mine letting her know that what she does makes a difference to others
-Nov.3 - I live in a condo and while I was using my leafblower to clean the leaves and dirt off my garage floor, I did the rest of the driveway area and front entryway for my 3 immediate neighbors.
-Nov. 4 - Joked around with every store employee I encountered today as I was out shopping. I wanted them to enjoy a bit of fun with a happy customer.
-Nov. 5 - Holding the door open for a woman with a big box of books purchased at the Library Used Book Sale, There were bunch of other people who took advantage of the open door so I ended up holding the door open for 5 or 6 people. I was laughing as I wondered if the line was ever going to end!!
-Nov. 6 - I covered a coworker's job for a little while so she could get a break.
- Nov. 7 - My neighbor left her garage door open when she left for work this evening. I closed it (I hope that was an act of kindness and she didn't leave it open for a good reason!!)
- Nov. 8 - I gave directions to a man who was lost. When it was obvious that he wasn't going to find where he needed to go (and it was close by) I walked part of the way with him until I could point out the building to him and he could see where he needed to go.
- Nov. 9 - I encouraged a new songwriter who was unsure of her progress on something she's writing
3. What act of kindness did someone do for you today? How did you feel?
-Nov. 1 - Someone very important to me who normally keeps his feelings to himself chose to confide something to me that was bothering him. I felt honored that he trusted me.
-Nov. 2 - My brother drove out his way to deliver a piece of mail I had been waiting for. I was reminded that for all the things I do for family members and friends simply out of love, they are returned to me in exactly the same way.
-Nov. 3 - when I was overcharged for an item I purchased at a Walgreens that I only sometimes shop at, the person working with me to get the price corrected gave me a bunch of free samples and thanked me over and over for my patience. She treated me as an important, valued and regular customer and I felt like I need to shop at that particular store more often!
-Nov. 4 - When I stopped at the gas station, the friend I had been shopping with (who really doesn't have much money and I try to bring him along on my errands so he doesn't have to use his own car) gave me a gasoline discount card to apply to my purchase. It reminded me that we're all in this life together and there's always a way to help out one another.
-Nov. 5 - More door-opening! I work in a building with a very slow elevator. I was on my way to the elevator with a coworker when I saw a rather gruff-looking woman getting in and I knew we weren't going to get to the elevator in time. As I was trying to decide whether it was going to be the stairs or waiting for the next elevator, I heard a voice. "Are you ladies coming?" She was holding the elevator for us. It reminded me that I still tend to judge books by their covers, that I had not considered that she would do for me what I had just done for someone else, that simple goodness has many faces. A good lesson for today!
-Nov. 6 - a coworker offered to cover my job for me on Friday afternoon so I can leave early that day. It makes me grateful to have such a nice group of coworkers who care about each other.
- Nov. 7 - I had to work with several young people today (under age 20.) Most of them thanked me for helping them and I felt encouraged by their manners!
- Nov. 8 - my brother left a goofy photo on my refrigerator while I was away. I'm not going to see him for a couple of months and the photo made me smile and realize the value of having a loving family.
- Nov. 9 - a friend of mine recently met someone I know from another area of my life and shared with me all the good things that the 3rd party had said about me. That was really nice of him to pass along to me!