I will start off by acknowledging that September has not been a great month. But knowing that (and being kind of embarrassed by it) will be motivation to do better in October!
- Flossing & Retainer: Pretty much not happening. New goal: floss once a week, wear my retainer for at least one full week this month.
- Spark goals. I'm at six months of 500 minutes per month, and I’m up to a 4 week streak of 90 minutes per week (my peak was 7 weeks). Getting my 500 minutes in this month was a struggle, but I busted my butt the last couple of days of the month to get it in. Can’t lose that streak!
- Everything. Frankly, September was a really bad month. I’ve been eating out (Mexican and pizza), snacking on boxed snacks, upping my ice cream intake. I can’t even really parcel last month into my usual “protein” and “fruits & veggies” categories because it was just that bad.
- Water. At least in this aspect I have been improving. I’ve been getting a consistent 5 - 5 ½ cups in. For October I’d like to make the push to a consistent 6!
- Work and Home. This is quite the mixed bag. I don’t think my depression is very well handled at this point in time. I have no idea if it is my (relatively) new medication (not a high enough dosage? just not a good match?) or if it is that the last month has been really fricking rough and anyone would be having a hard time. I miss my grandma so much I don’t have words for it. Needy people in my life are not respecting my personal boundaries. I am still not part time yet!
- Piano. Not going so hot. I haven’t been making/taking the time to practice. I’m starting to hate Carol of the Bells, and I actually called in “sick” for my last lesson. Why? Again, I’m unclear at this point if it is my depression or if this month is just awful.
- Outdoors. While I haven’t been great, I *have* been out on the trail behind my apartment complex twice. Both times were so enjoyable, and once I saw a baby deer. Since I started my Spark journey, I haven’t walked the trail at all. I was so very pleasantly surprised when the hill back up to the complex (which is HUGE) didn’t completely wipe me out like it used to. I am in better shape! That was a really cool experience for me, because I don’t often feel like I can see the benefits of my exercise since I’m not working on weight. I usually just notice (or am disappointed) when I get my cholesterol screened.
- Getting Creative. I stamped some stationery. It actually didn’t turn out that great, but I wasn’t critical of myself, and I’ll use it anyway. I have also spent a good bit of time this month working on ideas and layout for my Etsy shop. I also bought a few patterns for knitting stuffed animals, and I’m working on a panda bear right now. It will be my first project that isn’t flat, and I’m thinking positively! YouTube is a treasure trove of tutorials for stitches I don’t know. This is the one category I feel really solid in this month.
Spiritual Health (A fuzzy, but important category for me):
- Prayer, Being Outdoors, & Awareness of My Body. Not great. I have made some improvements in being aware of my body. I am more conscious of my posture during the day, and I’ve been lifting some weights and being proud of what I can push my body to do. And I also feel my grandma sometimes. However, at other times her (physical) absence is acutely painful. I also have some books I'd like to start studying/reading, including The Sixth Grandfather and The Hero with a Thousand Faces. I'd also like to read more out of the New Testament.
- Friends. I have spent some time with friends, but there are a couple in particular that I really need to seek out in October and make contact with.
- Letter writing. I think the only letter I wrote this month was to my papa to let him know I’m thinking of him and that I love him. My grandma’s death has been utterly devastating.
Personal Takeaways for September:
- Best Thing of the Month. Rediscovering the trail and getting super excited about a new knitting project.
- Room for Most Improvement. Everything else?
- Highlighted Food Goal for October. I will try to track my food with some regularity this month to re-evaluate what I’m eating. I think tracking it will also make me think more mindfully about what I’m going to eat in the first place. I've really fallen off the mindful wagon.
- Highlighted Fitness Goal for October. Incorporate stretching into my exercises once a week. Even if it’s just 5 minutes after I hula hoop or play tennis or walk. I did a few days ago, and I really enjoyed it!