200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 216,293

Where Have You Been???

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Anyone who knows me here on SP knows I check in every day, and that I disappeared for the entire month of September.

I entered the hospital on Saturday, August 31 and was finally discharged from the hospital on Friday, September 27. I was in the hospital for 28 days; 4 weeks; 1 whole month.

I had NO idea how sick I was. I had just returned from a trip to Florida (which was awesome) and 2 days later I woke up around 4:30 am with a raging fever, body chills, body aches. I thought to myself, "Who the heck gets the flu in August??" Then I developed a cough. This cough levatated me off the bed. I felt like crap. On Saturday, August 31 I drove myself to the Immedicenter. They took my vitals and history and the doctor promptly told me that she was ordering me transported to the hospital. My response: "Okay." The ambulance ride is a fuzzy memory. I do remember they put me on oxygen almost immediately. I was taken to the ER. When I arrived, my blood pressure was so low the nurse was concerned that I may have to be transferred to ICU. Still on oxygen. I stayed on oxygen until the last week of my stay.

I had pneumonia. Not ordinary, run of the mill pneumonia, oh no. It was bi-lateral, meaning both lungs were affected. Most times with pneumonia, your lungs develop fluid that sort of flows throughout your lung. Not me. Mine was encapsulated, meaning it formed pockets within my lungs. And the final touch: it was MRSA, meaning it was not treatable with standard antibiotics. 3 whammies.

I had 3 separate procedures done on my lungs involving a CT scan and drainage. They did my right lung first. Then I had a broncodycopsychy (sp) where they basically roto-rooted my bronchia out and cleared that. Then I had another CT scan drainage procedure on my left lung, which wasn't as successful. Then they called in the thorasic surgeon. I had 2 surgeries, one on each lung. My left lung was in worse shape. He went in, drained the fluid, the areas of fluid that had begun to solidify, he scraped. Then he flushed my lung out, then he reinflated my lung. I spent 2 days in ICU and 3 days after that, had my right lung worked on, with 2 more days in ICU.

I always get the flu shot. I get vaccine boosters, and had got the pneumonia vaccine a couple of years ago (it's once every 5 years). I just had the misfortune of coming into contact with a virulent bug and it nearly wiped me out.

But I survived. I am home now, and every day I get a little bit stronger. I walk a little bit every day, and I have basic strengthening exercises that I do. I have to rebuild my strength and my stamina.

I am thankful that I was in better physical shape when this happened than I was a year ago. I credit my work with SP for helping me fight this illness. I am thankful for all of the doctors and nurses and nurses aides that helped me during my hospital stay. Without them, I wouldn't be here today. Thank a doctor or nurse today.

I'll be on antibiotics for another month. I have a Home Health Care Nurse that comes twice a week, and I'll also be getting physical therapy twice a week for about 3 weeks. It'll be hard work to get back in shape, but after what I've been through, it will be good work.

If you "come down with a bug", don't wait like I did. My sister tells me that if I had waited just one more day, it would have been very touch and go. Take your vitamins. Wash your hands with soap and water. Use hand sanitizer. Be healthy. Be aware of the "things" going around. Be aware of how you're feeling.

I know I will.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    I was curious what this blog of yours, written in October / 13 was all about.... and yikes! You were so lucky you took that fever seriously. What an ordeal that must of been for you. Glad you're a toughie, and was able to fight through it. I've had pneumonia several times, but never that bad. emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1497 days ago
    I am glad to hear your doing much better. (my dad was in the air force so I know about the moving around everywhere
    1581 days ago
    Oh my goodness, how terrible! How scary! I am really glad you are OK and that you are recovering now.
    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1637 days ago
    So glad to hear you okay! That's a crazy amount of time in a hospital!
    1650 days ago
    oh--I am so very very glad you are on the mend now. wish we all had known--we could have been praying like mad and sending you get well cards! please take good care of yourself and post your progress. I am praying for you now--a complete and speedy return to your old self. emoticon emoticon
    1657 days ago
    What a terrible thing you went through. MRSA is really terrible. You must have had some good doctors. It sounds like you went through a lot. So glad you are home and continuing to improve.
    1658 days ago
    Bless your heart! I wondered where you were. You went through so much. I hope you at least lost weight! Mercy. I hope you continue to recover. emoticon
    1658 days ago
    emoticon emoticon So glad that you are doing better. I will keep you on my prayer list for sure. We really missed you on the thread!! Please don't over do it though. We don't need a relapse!!
    1659 days ago
    You've been missed but so happy you are on the mend. emoticon emoticon
    1659 days ago
  • ELIZ181
    Karen ~ So glad you are back home, I have missed you a lot. Get better soon
    1660 days ago
  • ELSAT137
    Wow Karen! So glad you are okay and getting better. I have been praying for you and I will continue to do so. Did you start your school year before you got sick or did you miss the beginning? Are you planning on going back when you are able. So glad you are back! emoticon
    1660 days ago
    Oh, lady, I am glad you got to come home! My goodness!

    One thing you wrote about really resonated with me, and that was the fact that you were glad you were in better physical shape than you had been in the past. When I began to get really serious about my physical shape, it was after becoming aware of all the genetic whammies that are in my background, and the fact that they would be "easier" if were not morbidly obsese really woke me up to what I needed to do.

    1660 days ago
    Thanks for letting us know--I was wondering where you were. Glad you fought this and had great care!
    emoticon emoticon
    1660 days ago
    Glad you are getting better & you were able to come home! I am sure you were ready after such a long hospital stay.

    1660 days ago
    Glad you made it through. Here's to the recovery phase, and regaining your strength soon....and then getting even stronger!
    1660 days ago
    Jeez Louise! I knew there had to be SOME reason you weren't on! I am soooooo very glad that you're home and have help. Good heavens! Take good care of yourself and sending all good healing vibes your way!!!

    1660 days ago
  • DAS92687
    emoticon Missed you lots and soooo glad you are finally home !!
    1660 days ago
    HOLY CRAP! I am SO glad you're okay! emoticon
    1660 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by LIVEDAILY