10,000-14,999 SparkPoints 14,757


Sunday, August 25, 2013

I’ll first start off by saying that the weight I gained that I last wrote about is gone. I’m at the low I was previously at before I left to go visit my family. I haven’t exercised as much since I’ve been back since now I have a parking permit. I miss commuting via bicycle, but I know that it was the right thing to do for my career to get the parking permit. Also, the pool has had weird hours since I’ve been back so unfortunately that makes two weeks without going to open swim.

I called this blog “Changes” because this past week I made a change that affects my career…and my overall well-being. Not only was I not happy with my social situation in the group in which I was working, but I also was realizing the project was not a good fit for me. I didn’t feel like I was doing things I wanted to do or really get to use my degree. I had been feeling the social issues since I started in January. I don’t want to get into too many details, but it was an extremely stressful environment. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I got to a point on the project where I started realizing I wasn’t happy. It wasn’t really what I thought I would be doing. But I convinced myself to stick with it, and so I proceeded onward.

I got back from visiting my family Sunday night, and came into the office around 9 on Monday. The last time I had taken some of my vacation and came back, I cranked out three more weeks of work before taking off again. I had felt rejuvenated. This time I didn’t. I just kind of stood there and thought, “I’m done with this.” And I was.

Long story short, I ended up switching bosses/projects after seeking the advice of someone higher up than my boss. I’m so grateful I did. Already I feel so much better…with the project and with the people I am working with. I had kept trying to stick things out, telling myself I was just going to be miserable for the next several years. But when I walked in the office door on Monday, everything became clear to me. I needed out, and I could get out!

I moved into my new office on Wednesday, then worked from home on Thursday. On Friday I finally got all the signatures I needed to make the change official.

On Thursday I finally got to the doctor about my cough after running and occasional wheezing. Yes, it was exercise induced asthma. She put me an inhaler.

Saturday morning my boyfriend and I ran an 8k race in a nearby city. It was the first race we ran together…and my first time since trying the inhaler. “Do you hear me breathing I asked?” No, he responded. I smiled so big. What a difference the inhaler made! And afterwards my lungs were so clear and I wasn’t coughing afterwards! The race was a difficult course. We finished about a minute after I wanted to. But I was happy because I wasn’t expecting the course to be so full of hills! And lastly…we finished hand in hand. We’ve trained together before, but never actually run a race together. What a great way to celebrate five months together! :)

We came back to my apartment and I made lasagna for dinner. Then we had spumoni ice cream while watching my St. Louis Cardinals beat the Atlanta Braves to tie Pittsburgh for first place.

I weighed this morning to find that my weight is good, and that I am keeping on track. Life is good…I didn’t have any breakdowns from work this week thanks to my change, and the 8k was wonderful!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post