Day 406 - Busy, Busy Bee
Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Well, the title of my blog is misleading. I'm busy, just not at work.
I hate weeks like this. I especially hate them in my current condition. Firstly, I don't have any billable work to do. That means that I'm doing a lot of reading and research. A lot of organizing. A lot of trips to the water cooler. A lot of stuff that while sometimes interesting and valuable often feels like busy work.
After all, I have to come to work. I have to give them my 40 hours. It's just that right now my employer doesn't have any billable work for me to do. So, we get to make up things that might be valuable (like researching current trends or organizing a binder of workproduct for future reference); but, ultimately just feels like the word-search game or crossword puzzle passed out by a substitute teacher when your regular english teacher is out sick.
If I weren't laid up I'd love this time. I can come in early and get a run in over lunch without pressure to get back in less than an hour. Or, I can go for a nice long bike ride. However, I'm stuck with a much more.. loose schedule, beautiful weather, and no fun to be had.
Also, when the weeks are like this, it means that I won't have any overtime. Right now it's looking like I'm going to be down between 8 and 12 hours unpaid. It's lame.
So, what is going good?
Well, we're at t-minus 28 days to get my costumes done. Let me give you a list and status of everything!
Gambit: 85% Complete! - All sewn up and waiting on replacement leggings to arrive by mail. I splurged. I know. I bought these AMAZING 'bionic' leggings made by an Etsy shop called Mitmunk. They're sub-dyed lycra leggings with an awesome print. (For the curious, 'dye-sub' or 'sub-dyed' or Sublimated Dye process is ALWAYS preferable to screen printing! Screen print is like what you find on many printed sports jerseys - those wide swaths of plastic printed on fabric that ultimately comes off as you wash it. Sublimated Dye essentially dyes a pattern or logo onto the fabric, making it part of the fabric. It may fade or shift color; but, it's going to hold up MUCH longer than a screen print. It's also, usually, a finer level of detail.
1. Jean Grey / Green Phoenix: 80% complete! - I got my suit yesterday and I'm feeling fabulously confident in it. Some Spanx will ensure that the spandex doesn't go up my bum and the cut and the belt are much more flattering than a plain old suit. My only complaint is that the 'belt' is attached to the suit and notable to be shifted. AS it is right now it sits up on my waist when it should be on my hips. We'll chalk that up to my long torso. Right now I'm waiting on my red wig to turn up and then I'll do some test shots to share! The last thing I need to do is be brave and cut holes in the suit for my high heels to slip through. After all, Jean does have the look of thigh-high high-heeled boots.
2. Lady Deadpool: 100% Complete! - Really, it's just a suit. However, I have to say I'm considering leaving her at home this year. I bought a new suit and the way it's cut has TOO MUCH excess fabric in the crotch area (but, also, not enough up the back.. So I wind up with a rather obscene looking butt crack..) I do Lady Deadpool and my brother does Deadpool, and these are the only costumes we ever do that 'go together.' I feel kind of obligated. However, I don't 'feel good' in this costume. I'll take a photo or two this week to share with you guys. You'll see what I mean.
3. Battlestar Galactica Double Tanks: 95% complete! I've decided to get some aviator sunglasses to go with this puppy since everyone calls me Starbuck anyway. Though, I don't NEED them. So, this is practically 100%
4. Agent Hill Formalwear: 65% complete! I'm sewing this one from scratch. It's coming together slowly with the most work coming in doing the satin applique of the SHIELD emblem on the lower back. I meant to take progress photos.. I'll take some at the next sewing session. Oh, I also need to find shoes. That's important.
5. Legends of the Hidden Temple: 100%. Also compatable with Legends of the Hidden Tem-Pool (A deadpool mashup.)
6. Claptrap: 5% complete. Oh, man, this is this year's biggie. The bro and I are making Claptrap costumes. Claptrap is a robot from the Borderlands video game series. He's hilarious and annoying. We're essentially taking refrigerator boxes and cutting them up. They're going to be a 22" square at the top and a 16" square at the bottom. Pretty big. People in elevators are going to hate us. Right now we have about 80% of the supplies, the start of a concept of how to put it together and a prayer. these guys are going to be hard. But awesome. And hard.
7. STar Trek Original Series Dress Uniform: 100%. I got my dress, my boots, my tricorder, and I'm not afraid to use them!
So, that's where most of my time is going lately.
I had my check in phone call with the study yesterday. Things I admitted: I haven't been tracking my food. I haven't been wearing my armband. I haven't been weiging myself. I haven't been happy. We agreed that I'd at least try to keep my hand out of the candy jar at work. So far today I have consumed 4 mints. Not terrible.
I'm PRAYING that I get the all clear from the doc to run next week. God, please, I need this.