150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 171,778

Not my best riding day

Sunday, July 07, 2013

I biked 35 miles yesterday, but they were not good miles. I had intended to make a 55-mile loop, but just 5 miles in (while watching the traffic light and the traffic instead of looking at the road) I hit a piece of rebar that caused my front tire to scoot out from under me, throwing me toward traffic that was starting to move. I stopped myself from falling into the street by *putting my hand on a moving car.*

Needless to say, I was sort of jangled with adrenaline by all that.

I biked 5 more miles, trying to get myself calmed down, but I was struggling. So when I got to a charming little village I pulled over, sat down on a bench, ate a banana, drank some water, and got myself calmer. I went on from there, headed south and slightly upstream into a mild headwind. I wasn't expecting to be fast, but I was surprised at how bad I felt. I had to stop and rest again after another 5 miles, and then at 18 miles, when I reached the top of a hill I simply had to throw myself down on the grass, gasping for air.

That's when I cut the ride short. I started back, and it was definitely easier, but every climb was doing me in WAY more than it should have. Stopped after 5 miles to buy a coke, and then after another 3 to buy some Gatorade. I texted hubby to let him know I might need a rescue, but decided to keep going. Stopped one last time about 4 miles from home to take shelter under a gas station for 10 minutes of absolute deluge, then made the final press for home.

About two blocks from home, I started wondering if I was having a heart attack. The road was flat, but I still felt terrible. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath at all. I briefly considered calling for a rescue but realized I could be home before he could get in the car and come get me.

Got home, told hubby my concerns, decided to take a shower to get the sweat off, and then noticed that I was fighting cramps in my thighs, feet, and calves. Sure sign of potassium deficiency. Decided that an immediate trip to ER was not necessary.

I'm still going to call my doctor on Monday and go in to get checked out. I don't feel 100% back to normal yet, but no real chest or back pain,
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • HILLSLUG98239
    On the plus side, you have another story to tell when you're hanging out with other riders.
    1781 days ago
    WOW, I'm reading your blogs backward, so I know that the medicinal potato chips helped you. But that must have been really scary - especially the part about putting your hand on a moving car to get your balance! That could have been disastrous. Glad that you are OK.
    1781 days ago
    Very scary! What did the doc say? Hope you are feeling better today!
    1783 days ago
    Oh wow! Very scary! Glad you are recovering!!
    1784 days ago
    OMG I would be so scared.. and I am glad you turned around are you riding when it is wicked hot? because heat has a huge factor with riding I mean we do not feel the heat when riding because we are moving fast but really it does effect us.. and hydration should be double then what you normally take in..

    Also there are this potassium and magnesium pills I get at the bike shop called hot legs they work great.. ...

    Hope everything checks out with you, be safe and easy dose it

    1784 days ago
    Bless your heart. Be careful!!!
    1784 days ago
  • OPTIMIST1948
    I am glad you had the intelligence to STOP and GO HOME when you did. Maybe it was the near miss, maybe it was the potassium. But in anycase it was the right decision.
    1784 days ago
    I hope you are feeling much better now after that terrible bike ride. I commented on the forum and then found you had a blog...

    Stay safe and be careful on your bike.

    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

    1785 days ago
    I hope you are feeling better by the time you read this. That sounds like one tough ride.
    1785 days ago
    I ended up in the ER (sent by a doctor). It turned out to be Pulmonary Emboli. They are blood clots, which originate in the legs and go to the lungs. I had symptoms of struggling to breathe on my walk on the road. I felt exhausted, could hardly finish my walk. If blood clots go to the lungs, they cause pulmonary emboli, to the heart a heart attack, to the brain a stroke. thirty percent of people who get blood clots die if they don't get medical attention in the first hour. I think most doctors would tell you to get to the Er immediately. I will be thinking of you.
    1785 days ago
    You did have a challenging afternoon. emoticon
    1785 days ago
    emoticon very scary indeed....hope you figure out the cause of all the distress. Could have just been the "car Incident"....So glad you are OK now...take it easy!! emoticon
    1785 days ago
    1785 days ago
    1785 days ago
    Yikes! Scary. I'm glad it wasn't a heart attack and you are recovering.
    1785 days ago
  • UKMOM638
    Sending you Get well Wishes! emoticon emoticon
    1785 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.