Saturday, June 01, 2013
I'm awful at updating my page around here. I had a fitness blog where I updated more but the site I blog on is shutting down so maybe I'll try to post more. (I tend to forget to try to update)
In anycase here's 10 life updates from the last few months:
1. I studied in Germany over winter break and gained about 10 pounds.
2. My body is taking it's sweet time getting rid of that gain and that's ok.
3. in march I suffered a pretty severe hip injury (part of the reason I was at such a stand still).
4. my hip has finally healed and I am mostly back to my fitness life.
5. I've decided not to get back into heavy lifting. I want to focus on the fall racing season and as such it is more beneficial to focus my strength training efforts in different ways than before.
6. I recently got a set of K-bands and am in love with circuit training with them.
7. I got accepted to a 200 hour yoga teacher training this summer
8. I've been getting offers from yoga studios that want to hire me in the fall.
9. I started a yoga revolution at the gym I teach at- power yoga and yogalates took off better than I could have imagined!
10. I've been experimenting with a new system that keeps me better motivated that before (explained bellow)
so now that were all caught up here's what I've been doing with my goals:
You guys all probably know that short term goals can help with long term goals right? for the last few months I've been setting different goals for myself each month with the mindset of 'I can do anything for 30 days'. I will admit to having bad weeks here and there but thus far it's worked for me.
I tend to like to analyse and change things as I go. If I look back and see that something isn't working I like to change it. I've been making a habit of resetting my sparkpeople weight and fitness goals every month- it keeps my ranges at a point that better suits the tweaks I make and ensures that I stay focused.
this is getting long enough so I'll stop talking and leave you with my goals for this month:
1. run 30-40 miles per week. would like to up the miles a bit but I'm not sure the schedule will allow it.
2, Strength training: now that my hip is actually better I can do more of this. I'll be teaching a sculpt and tone class and would like to do a second strength session during the week- either a circuit session or full body endurance. I feel like I should be doing more strength training (I feel like my muscles have deflated and I'm not sure how I feel about that) but I want to focus on running and I feel the endurance lifts and what I do in my yoga practice is more than enough for what I need.
3. I regoaled to update my nutrition: my current target range is 1600-2000. that said- Summer has changed what food I eat a bit which has lowered my iron take yet again... need to be on top of that.
4. all said I made a target weight to hit by july 19th (day I leave for yoga school)- however, as you guys know, it's not really about the numbers. I will use the scale to keep tabs on things but ultimately I'd rather see changes in measurements and body fat.
Sorry that this got long- that's what happens when you don't post for six months.