You may remember my race report from The Glo Run about a month ago. If you didn't, here's the link: www.sparkpeople.com/mypa
And if you don't remember, here's a recap:
Unannounced Trail Run
No Racers Etiquette
The Color Run was this past weekend, and it was the same place (National Harbor, MD) and the same course. I was worried it would be a repeat of the Glo Run, but I was SO PLEASANTLY SURPRISED to see that this event was so much better.
They've been doing Color Runs all over the USA for awhile now so I think they have their ish together and maybe The Glo Run just needs that learning curve, but whatever. Here were the major differences:
1. Preparation. I knew there was a trail run portion going into the event, so at least I was mentally prepared.
2. Waves. They started runners off in waves a full 3 minutes apart, as opposed to about 15 seconds for The Glo Run.
3. Walkers Right, Runners Left. They made MANY announcements encouraging people to stay to the right if they were walking, and not to walk 5 across and block the whole trail. Not everyone listened, but overall people were MUCH more polite about getting out of the way than at the Glo Run.
4. Daylight. There were some muddy bits since it had been raining, but at least it was daylight so you could see them! And again, since there were probably 20 waves everyone was pretty well spaced out so no one was tripping over anyone else on the muddy parts.
5. COLOR!!!! The Glo Run was fun with all the glow sticks and the black light tents, but the color run was way more fun. There were four official color stations where they pelt you with color, and in between there were random people with more colors. I went through every one spinning and asking for more until I was completely doused. It was SO MUCH FUN!
Here's a picture from when I was all done. :)