30,000-39,999 SparkPoints 30,101

Strange day

Thursday, May 02, 2013

I went to fetch my son at the helipad today. I have friends down visiting and trying to show them a good time and still do my "duties" to my family left me leaving the house without time to eat any breakfast. I wasn't worried since we always go to the coffee shop and catch up with my son before he leaves for his own home....I figured I'd get something to eat then.

I arrived at the helipad as arranged at 10am. The helicopter should have gotten in between 10-10.30am. By 11am still nothing?
I asked security, but they knew nothing...standard answer it seems. So there I sat waiting and waiting and waiting. Fortunately for once, I had hubby for company, but by 12 there was still no helicopter and hubby simply had to go to work. So a mad dash to take him to work and return to wait for Cole. In the meantime my phone battery died (I have to get a new one) and i wasn't too happy about having to drive the freeway with an old car and no phone..but there was nothing I could do, I also didn't want my son waiting on his own after being away for 2 weeks. I know hes a big boy, but I hate that feeling of everyone's off the rig and loaded up by their caring family and one poor old souls family doesn't arrive....had that too much myself as a girl. My mother eternally left us sitting stranded at bus stations for hours and I made a pact never to do that to my own kids.

Eventually the helicopter arrived 3 hours late. Turned out, the big helicopter had a technical problem and had to turn back. The small helicopter then had to go and fetch a part for the big helicopter. I still had nothing to eat or drink but kept thinking with a twinkle in my eye back to when Cole was dieting and he said when he got hungry, he would pound his stomach with his fists and say "eat yourself-eat yourself emoticon
So there I sat saying the same to my own stomach.....luckily no one could hear me.

Finally, the helicopter was repaired and the men were fetched.
Cole came through the security gates, looked me up and down and said "Jeez mom...looking good" YAAAAAAY finally he noticed my 10.2kg (22pounds) weight loss and toning up from all the boot camps he has paid for. I'm booked and paid for June and July too....seriously thrilled about that.

These are the pictures of the two helicopters flying backward and forward overhead fetching the guys off the rig.

My son bought his gfriend a beautiful creamy colored teddy bear to keep her company when hes away on the rig. There were so many to choose from, but all the normal brown color. This was the only creamy colored one and it smelled of vanilla essence. Gorgeous.

I helped him choose it and when we went to pay, we got an unexpected R200 reduction ($22). It went from R299 ($33) to R99 ($11) I can't tell you why even, since the other teddy bears half the size were definitely the higher value, just the giant cream colored one was cheap. Cole was so delighted, he bought me a pullover for tomorrows cold weather expected with the difference between what he expected to pay and the reduced priced and still had change in his pocket.

We finally met my friends at the coffee shop and since Cole didn't want any food, and neither did my friends, I didn't end up ordering anything.
I got my first food at 4pm today.....and survived to tell the tale. emoticon

I must admit to being tired tonight and footsore....and have to get up early tomorrow for boot camp. But at least my kids home and safe, my friends had a good day and I ate well, if just much less than I expected to...so all's well that ends well.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    emoticon Haha!! 'Stomach eat yourself!!'
    emoticon emoticon
    1816 days ago

    Comment edited on: 5/6/2013 6:13:59 AM
    You have been doing this long enough to know to pack some food- apples, banana or nuts, anything, don't let yourself get crazy hungry.

    Long day for you but I am glad your son is home safe.
    1818 days ago
    Cute bear. Riding in a helicopter is on my bucket list.
    1819 days ago
    Great news to hear our son is safely back. How sweet of him to be so generous with you. The pullover is a beautiful color - lovely!

    When I know I'm having a busy day, I put almonds and an apple or two into my purse. That way, if I can't get any proper food, or my schedule is just a total mess, at the very least a have a bit of protein, some healthy fat and fibre to hold me off. That way I don't start staring at the steering wheel like it was food!

    1819 days ago
    Love the pictures. emoticon
    1819 days ago
    I must admit that I really get cranky not eating, so I agree with the others, always keep a backup in the car, like raisins, nuts and even biltong in a paper bag. Glad everything turned out good for you and I'm glad your son acknowledged your weight loss.
    1819 days ago
    glad your son made it safe but late ..

    but girl you need to carry almonds or something like that to snack on when these things happen.. not good for you to go that long without food ..

    hugs Jo
    1820 days ago
  • GINA180847
    Scary incident. Thank God for the good ending.
    1820 days ago
  • TXTOAD9970
    I agree with the other posters - you should have had an apple or some raisins at least. It's not good to go on an empty stomach for that long! Put a snack in your car for next time. Glad it ended well. I am sure it is good to have your son home.
    1820 days ago
    You need a pack of nuts in your bag. Way to go on the weight emoticon
    1820 days ago
    Interesting about the helicopters. I love that Teddy bear.
    1820 days ago
    I suggest you keep an emergency something in your car or purse. It really isn't all that good for you to go so long without nourishment. There are healthy choices you can carry..and some will keep indefinitely.

    I am glad your son is home safely. Hope you all enjoy a good visit. The gift of the sweater is just lovely.
    1820 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.