150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 151,694

First day of Volunteering!

Friday, April 12, 2013

Okay, we showed up at 9:15 and Kelly and Amanda weren't in their office and we still didn't have our badges so I knew we had to wait on someone. Well Kelly had meetings all day and Amanda showed up harried and checked for our badges-they weren't there, so she called Sunny at the main Volunteer office (We're volunteering at the rehab center, which is a part of the county hospital system, where Erik was in house for two months, in out patient therapy for over a year and is now in transitional therapy). Well Sunny said she'd bring our badges over but it would be a while she had some more trainees and our badges weren't done yet. I said I'll just drive the five minutes and pick them up myself. When we got there she wasn't in her office, she'd gone to make our badges, we finally got them and drove back to the rehab center, and couldn't find Amanda, but another volunteer showed us around, instructed us on where to put papers to be shredded and how to use the copier. Then he introduced us to a student volunteer with whom we worked for the remainder of our time.
We stocked all of the nurses stations with bags that we separated and rolled individually. Erik separated them and then the student volunteer and I rolled what Erik separated, because he couldn't handle that part. That happily was a chore we could do sitting down. Erik took charge of the cart and was happy to place the individually rolled bags in the drawer of each station. We also stocked the stations with towels, washcloths, depends, and bed pads, most of which had to be folded differently to fit in the cabinet. That took some time and a fair amount of walking, then we watered the plants around the center. After that we actually got to wheel a couple of patients to lunch, we ate lunch then wheeled a couple of patients back to their rooms. We visited Amanda and recapped our day. Erik was disappointed because he didn't get to help more patients.
He was also in pain. He wore his new shoes for the first time and his feet were bothering him but he had to stop at the Best of Brews to get his growler of beer. And I had to stop at Costco to get the chicken breasts and ground meat for the family Birthday party Sunday.

We got home and I had to remind him that the reading specialist was going to be at the house in about two hours, he groaned-so did I. He snoozed in the recliner waiting on Miss Gerry.
We had supper and were both whipped, I worked in the yard for about an hour, came in cleaned up and went to bed since the storm was messing with TV and internet.
So Erik and I survived our first volunteer day, I enjoyed seeing him in action and his efforts to try things he hasn't done before. Next week we'll be there again and we have been told that the days may be different each time. The following Thursday there is a volunteer luncheon for all the Hospital volunteers.
Happy Friday all.
emoticon emoticon
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    That sounds like a very successful start. It's amazing how much has to be done behind the scenes and wonderful that there are people like you and Erik willing to do it.
    1866 days ago
    Boy it sounds like you and Erik did really great your first day of volunteering. Congratulations to both of you. Keep up the great work and it sounds like you both enjoyed your first day. emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    1868 days ago
    Wow, It sounds like they keep you very busy. They are very fortunate to have your help.
    1868 days ago
    Sounds like a wonderful beginning to a new adventure for both of you!
    1868 days ago
    No wonder you were tired but sounds like it was a good day. Hope Erik's feet feel better. Poor guy. New shoes can be a bummer.

    Hope you both had a great night's sleep. Tell Erik I am very proud of all the work he did.

    We've finally had some rain and right now the deer are enjoying eating my plants. I have about a dozen of them in the back yard. What beautiful creatures they are and I even forgive them for eating my plants!!!!

    Hugs and have a great Friday!!!
    1868 days ago
    A busy day for you two. Once you get used to the routine I'm sure volunteering will run smoothly. So great that you are doing that.
    1868 days ago
    A busy but productive day. Volunteering like this is a wonderful way to feel good and help others.
    1868 days ago
    Sounds like you both had an extremely busy day!!!!! Now that your badges are taken care of, next week should go alot smoother, and hopefully Erik will get his wish to work with the patients more!!!

    Hope today is less hectic for you!!!!!
    As always, thank you for stopping by and reading my blogs!!!!!

    1868 days ago
  • JANET552
    It sounds like you crammed a lot into the day. That must mean you are really needed! It is great that you can expect a lot of variety. That will be good for you but especially for Erik. I hope he gets his wish to work with more patients. It is probably just a matter of time.

    I think your day sounds tiring...but in a good way. emoticon
    1868 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.