80,000-99,999 SparkPoints 80,735

Home from Inverness

Tuesday, April 09, 2013

That was a weekend of hard work!
The alarm went off at 5.45am on Saturday morning, dogs fed, hubby fed and bundled into the car - along with the dogs - and I dropped him off at Dialysis at around 6.50am ready for a 7am session. I then drove to our Mark's house, parked up and walked the dogs around the park. At the end of the lap, Mark and his huskies arrived and we walked another lap and then all went into Mark's house for a cuppa.

Mark is my trusted pet sitter when I have a uber long day, or in this case, I have to go away for the weekend. I left Gabriel, Billy and little Poco with Mark and took Millie dog back in the car with me. She would just pine and be a total PITA if I left her with Mark. From there I drove home. Put Millie indoors and grabbed my bike and cycled down the hill and into the village - all 1.6 miles of a ride as I went the long way, to collect the hire van that we had sensibly booked and paid for 10 days previous.
I then drove back up the hill - exactly one mile door to door - and loaded the van with a couple of duvets for padding. A plastic crate thing with a ruksack with our undies and toiletries in for the trip, dog food for Millie, her bowl, packed picnic in a coolbag, a couple of litres of water for us and Millie, lots of sucky sweets. We took a couple of bottles of local cider for our friend to drink, she's never had proper cider before and we thought that she would like to try it. I put fish blocks in the fish tank and even had time before that to do a 10% water change in the tank that I didn't have time to do the night before.
Ken texted me at 11.25 to say that he had 15 mins left to dialyse, so I put Millie and some CDs in the van and drove to the hospital where I waited and waited until 12.15 when himself turned up.
Fab journey. A47 and A17 were the usual pain in the bum but the A1, A66, M6 and onwards through Scotland to the A9 were a joy and we had a totally clear run. We did the 555 miles in 9 hours and 40 minutes, stopping 3 times for coffee, a stretch/wee/walk the dog.

Sunday I went to City Life Church in Inverness and then out walking with Phyllis before repairing to the comfy chairs with a large very good single malt.

Monday we were up at 7am, breakfasted, walked, showered and had downed several cups of tea and left our lovely friend Phyllis at 8.50am and drove to the bottom on the road and had the storage locker unlocked by 1 minute to 9. It took us 40 minutes to load the van. All the stuff to load first into the van were at the back of the storage unit, naturally. The first thing we did was opened up our bow bags and gazed upon our compound bows that we had not seen for over 18 months. They are still visions of beauty in my eyes emoticon . Once loaded we went to Tesco for some decent Scotch. Much cheaper in Inverness than in Norfolk by a long way. We bought a haggis for our Mark too emoticon He likes them, weirdo emoticon .
By 10.30am we were on the road again and heading south. We stopped about 30 miles north of Glasgow for coffee, then again at Gretna as Kenn was tired (why he didn't want to swap near Glasgow is beyond me). I filled the van up at Carlisle and kept on driving until Kings Lynn where we stopped for a late tea (McDee's but there wasn't much option on healthy food on the motorways. We had a wrap) Ken then drove to about 10 miles from home where we topped off the fuel tank. Our hire company hires the vans with a full tank and that's how they are to be returned. Very civilised IMO. We pulled onto the farm track at exactly 9pm.

By 9.30 we were half unloaded and I was on my way to Mark's house to liberate him from our dogs. He was mighty glad to see us. Naughty Poco had been a paragon of virtue and our two excellently behaved hounds had been a pain in the neck. Billy just wee'd everywhere emoticon and followed Mark about.

Back to work today. All the changes in water have given us both the skitters but we are feeling a bit better now. A work day while keeping a loo location in mind is tiring!
I would go cycling but there is so much stuff in the shed that I can see the bike, just, but haven't a hope of reaching it without the aid of a sack barrow and a couple of mates to help shift some stuff! I walked for 2 hours anyway - not including my dogs.

Another day then.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • KAYDE53
    Busy day!! Over here, we've had some wonderfully warm days that would have been perfect for your cycling!
    1895 days ago
    To have the M^ on the road to Scotland clear is a great day!! Remember that during our time there the M roads were always clogged. Sounds like a heavenly trip. You made great time on the trip to Scotland. You blog brings to mind me time over there. Miss the lovely weather.
    1895 days ago
  • PCOH051610
    Whew, that sounds exhausting!
    1895 days ago
    wow, that's a lot of activity... emoticon
    1895 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by MILLIE-MILOU