2,500-3,999 SparkPoints 3,785

Catch Up Blog (long)

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Here’s my long “catch up” blog (mostly to just recap the past couple of days so I can remember what I did since I didn't track my food or activity).

Per my previous blog, I managed to not gain any weight over my mini-vacation and actually lost 2 lbs. (since last weigh in 2 weeks ago).

Last Thursday was the last time I ran, but I've been very busy with other activities. I was off work on Good Friday and that's my day to do yard work and get ready for my big Easter party on Sunday.

We have about 12 acres (with my parents) and 2 acres are our "yard". DH likes to use the push mower with the bag sometimes instead of the riding mower (especially with all the afore-blogged "gum balls"), so Thursday (after running) & Friday I pushed the mower and emptied the bag. This took about 4 hours total, so that was a lot of walking and hauling.

I got up early on Friday because the kids were in school and it was DH's last day of overnights, so he was still sleeping. I did some things around the house (quietly) after getting the kids off to the buses and then started working back outside pruning, trimming and weeding the flower beds (more hauling & walking). I wasn’t planning to do any planting since early spring in N. Georgia is unpredictable and we could still get a freeze. When DH got up, we went to Wal-Mart to pick up mulch & some plants. I spent the rest of Friday afternoon laying mulch and planting some flower pots. DH took DD #2 and friend to run on Friday, but I was still working in the yard so I didn’t go, but I did play some badminton later after a yummy dinner that DH made!

DH had to work on Saturday morning (back to "regular" schedule), so I worked around the house and started getting things ready for Sunday. The weather report was "iffy" for Sunday, so I wasn't sure if we would be able to be completely outside. I decided to check e-mails for any updates from family members and there was an e-mail from DD #2's basketball program that the games were rescheduled (because of Spring break) and the high school girls were playing @ 12 (instead of 2). It was already 11:30 and the gym is 15 mins. away! DD #2 was at my Mom's house painting Easter eggs and I was in crappy sweats and hadn't showered! I called her to come home and get ready and I threw on some clothes. We got to the gym about 10 mins. late, but the first 35-40 mins. they do warm ups and drills, so she didn't miss much!! She did really well again, so she’s glad we got the e-mail in time (barely)!

When we got back home, DD #2&3 washed the cars, dog & front porch (it was a really nice day). We got out the folding tables & chairs and I put everything back on the front porch & deck. I had to run to Publix to get some last minute stuff for Easter, so I picked up chicken & salad for dinner (I missed lunch!).

We woke up Easter Sunday to rain! It had rained all night Saturday, but was supposed to stop Sunday morning and be partly cloudy to about 4 pm and then rain again. We went ahead and set up a small tent on the back deck over the table and set up 2 tables in our front room & dining room to prepare for people mostly eating inside. Our family Easter lunch & egg hunt starts about 1 pm. We usually have about 40-45 people, but this year was a little smaller group because a lot of people were out of town, so we had about 35 (extended family). It started raining as soon as we started eating, so we weren't sure about the egg hunt. Fortunately there was a break in the rain about 2 pm and the sun actually came out. It was wet and muddy, but the kids didn't care! I really didn't eat that much and we had some really healthy stuff, but I did have a piece of my aunt's coconut cake!

I was off Monday & Tuesday, so we were planning to go somewhere hiking. DD #2 was leaving for Florida with another family, DD #1 wanted to spend the day with boyfriend and DD #3 wanted a friend to come over and spend the night. No one wanted to go hiking with me! DH said he would pick up boyfriend and friend and work on the cars & tractor, so my sister and I headed over to my niece’s house and we went hiking with her, baby, my cousin's son (who is close friends with niece and he was off too!) and nieces 2 dogs. We went to a new hiking trail near her house. She wasn't sure how "stroller friendly" it was (she has an all terrain stroller), so we took the stroller and the baby backpack. After talking to some people who had been on the trail, we decided to take the stroller. It was a very hilly trail with some pretty steep inclines, but it was wide and not too rocky or “stumpy”. I ended up having to push the stroller. It was really hard, but I guess I was in the “best shape” of the bunch! We only hiked for 2.3 miles, but it was mostly inclines, so with that and pushing the stroller, it was quite the work-out! We had a late picnic lunch (I brought a bunch of healthy stuff!) and then my sister and I headed home.

My sister called Tuesday morning and my niece wanted to go hiking again. This time DH, DD #3 & friend and I met my sister, niece, baby and dogs at another location closer to our house. It was part of a national recreation area by a pretty big river. It was a beautiful trail. We walked along the river on a boardwalk, so it was very “stroller friendly”. DH took the hilly trail because he wanted to do some running. Apparently he would end up back on the “river trail”. We got to the end of the boardwalk (about .5 mile walk) and then walked out to the river over some rocks. It was an area with some “rapids” & big rocks so there were some kayakers filming. We sat out in the sun on the rocks and watched them. DD #3 and friend waded in the water, but the water was really cold (and only about 68 degrees outside), but they didn’t care. DH met back up with us and he said the trail was very steep in places, rocky & “stumpy” and narrow, so it was not “stroller friendly”. My sister took the baby and DD#3 and friend back to the car via the boardwalk and DH, niece, dogs & I took the hilly trail. It was quite the hike (about 2 miles), so again I got a good workout. (precious great-nephew & me at river)

We ended up the day going to a BBQ place that my niece raved about. It was ok (I’m not much of a BBQ fan), but the ice cream was good!

It was a good mini-vacation, but now I’m back to routine. I ate my healthy breakfast, packed my healthy lunch and I’m back at work. I’m pretty sore and stiff from all my mountain climbing, stroller pushing & yard work (my back hurts today). It’s supposed to rain tomorrow & Friday, so I want to run tonight after taking DD #1 to work. I don’t want to loose my running momentum because I want to be ready for my next 5K on 5/4!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Woo Hoo to you! You were quite the busy beaver! I like how you said you must have been the fittest pushing that stroller. Or maybe they knew you wanted more exercise and were watching out for you!LOL Keep up the good work Coachmommy!
    1880 days ago
    I've seen some of your "runs" and this one would be tame in comparison. It's the Amicalola River in North Georgia. I beleive these are Class IV rapids. We have some pretty good rivers in North Georgia and they are usually more challenging in the spring because of the rain (although too cold for me!). The kayakers that were there yesterday said they were pretty challenging and the water was real high because of all the recent rain.

    My family likes to go kayaking in late spring and early summer when it's warm. We've done the Amicalola (the easy part that's up river) and it's a beautiful location (as is most of the N. Ga. rivers!)
    1880 days ago
    Sounds like you've had an active and productive weekend!

    As a kayaker myself, I couldn't help scrutinizing the river behind you in the picture to see if it looks like fun and something I can run... LOL

    1880 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by COACHMOMMY