1-99 SparkPoints 1


Friday, March 15, 2013

The last couple of days have been a blur. I've been living on caffein and VERY LITTLE sleep. I've lost 3 lbs. but I'm sure it's due to lack of eating, which is not good.

Wednesday night I was just settling down with the hubby to catch up on a couple of episodes of Bones on Netflix. (I LOVE this show!) My phone rang at 9:30 pm. It was my sister, who came in from WA state a few months ago to help with my mom and her chemo. She was hysterical! My stepdad stopped breathing and the paramedics were taking him to the hospital. So I immediately got dressed, called my sister who lives in the next town over and we hauled ass up to the hospital 2 hrs away. They had my stepdad on a breathing tube and he was no responsive. After waiting for a while the initial test results showed nothing. So, since he has thyroid cancer, they decided to life-flight him to UofL hospital. Shortly before the helicopter arrives my stepdad wakes up! We're all there holding his hand and assuring him everything is ok. He was able to respond to questions through squeezing his right or left hand or blinking a number of times.

The scary thing was finding out he had sent my mom a text that she never received. He told her he felt like his head was going to explode and to imagine him screaming in agonizing pain in the middle of an empty stadium. He was afraid he would die before he could let anyone know.

He was taken to UofL hospital and put in ICU. He became unresponsive somewhere between the flight and being admitted. I was up all night and then had to go into work yesterday bc I had the company credit card and had to take it back. They let me work only a half day and I finally got to sleep around 1PM. He woke up sometime yesterday morning but he was very combative and trying to pull out all his tubes and wires. They had to restrain him until they received the ok to sedate him. Once he was sedated they ran more tests. The only thing we know so far is he has a couple of small blood clots in his lungs. They have him on blood thinners to try to dissolve them.

This morning, I was told they are taking out the breathing tube but he is still on a c-pap i think. Another form of assisted breathing. They have to test his swallowing before he can have anything to eat or drink.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. We're still not sure if it is just the blood clots or something else. We won't know anything from the cultures come back later this morning. Needless to say, my fitness and nutrition goals have been sidetracked. Hoping to get some movement in this weekend. Once I get some sleep.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Oh no! How scary! I hope he continues to mend.
    1861 days ago
    I am so sorry to hear this! I have been in a similar situation and I don't wish that on anyone. Just remember you have a community of people who are here for you if you need to vent, cry, scream, etc. We are here for you!

    P.S. Make sure you eat something, keep yourself healthy for your step-dad. I am sure he would hate to find out that you got sick worrying over him.
    1862 days ago
    Sending positive thoughts your way! If you need anything, let us know!
    1864 days ago
    Hugs lady. Hope everything turns out alright. Keep us updated.
    1864 days ago
    emoticon emoticon prayers!
    1864 days ago

    Comment edited on: 3/15/2013 11:09:18 AM
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by LISA_SUMNER08