2,500-3,999 SparkPoints 3,785

First 5K of the Year

Monday, February 25, 2013

I've been trying to get back to "5K form" since Spring of last year. I started a program last Spring to increase my 5K speed. It was a really hard program and by the time the heat of Summer came along, I was king of "over it". I continued to run with DD#2 on the indoor track and did a lot of water sports, hiking, walking & bike riding throughout the Summer, but I never got back to running 5K.

I started back the first of the year trying to work up my distance. It's been a slow progress and I was actually working on more "timed" runs than distance. I still needed to take that walking break. Last Tuesday I finally tracked my distance and still had to do a little walking, but was able to complete 3.1 miles in 38:03. I was pretty pleased with that since I had a race coming up on Saturday!

I ran on Tuesday of last week and then did a DVD workout on Thursday. I got an e-mail Friday afternoon that the 5K was postponed until Sunday @ 2 pm because the county was closing the greenway due to flooding (it rained hard all day Friday).

DD#2 and I were really tired on Friday. She ended up napping for 4 hours on the couch. We decided to run Saturday afternoon. It was still kind of cold and very damp, so I was glad we didn't have to run Saturday morning. DD#2 wanted to get a "feel" for outdoor running since she runs mostly in the gym, so we ran on the outdoor track. I didn't want to do an entire 5K, so we ran about 20 mins. It was hard and I was feeling the dampness in my "old bones and joints". After we ran, she shot some baskets on the outdoor court (she starts a Spring league today).

Yesterday was a beautiful day. I slept in until about 9 am and then did some leisure housework before picking up DD#3 from a sleepover. I had eaten a late breakfast, so I didn't want to eat lunch before the race, so I had a light snack around noon.

DD#2 and I left for the 2:00 race at 1:30. She thought we were leaving too early since we're only about 2 mins. from the park. We got to the park entrance and the traffic was backed up! It took 20 mins. to get into the park and find a parking space. I guess the race people couldn't really do anything about the traffic because it's a very popular park and there's a big difference between 8 am on Saturday and 2 pm on Sunday!

We needed safety pins for our bibs (I had already picked up the race packets), so by the time we got the pins, warmed up (we already had our warm up walk walking from the car) and moved to the start line, it was a little after 2 pm. I guess they were accommodating all the people that were late because of traffic, because the race didn't start until 2:30.

Despite the late starting time, it was a really great race. It was the CASA Superhero 5K and a lot of people were dressed up in costumes (which were more appropriate for a cool Saturday morning than a warm Sunday afternoon!). There were a lot of kids, dogs, strollers, etc. It was DD#2's first 5K race and she's pretty "serious" about competition. She was getting kind of annoyed at that point, so she was ready to go when the race started. I didn't see her again until she had already "turned around" and was on her way back. The first part of the race was an obstacle course, but it opened up after that.

I really enjoyed the course. It started out looping around the parking lot, so there was a slight hill and then we went downhill to the greenway, which is very flat. This is where I do most of my running, so I was very comfortable with my pace, etc. It was really crowded since there were the racers and other people enjoying the day (lots of bikes!).

I ran for 20 mins. straight and was starting to feel it. My first mile was 11:28 which is very good for me. I had to walk about 2 mins. after running for 20 and then started running again. I knew where the finish line was so I walked a little and "saved myself" for a sprint at the end. I "crossed" the finish line at 38:58, but my watch showed 38:43. Either way, I finished under my goal of 40 mins. I was really happy with the time. DD#2 was waiting for me at the finish line. She couldn't remember her exact time, but she thinks it was 29:03. It was probably less than that, but that was the "official time". I thought it was a great time for her first 5K, but she was a little disappointed since she usually runs under a 7 min. mile. I reminded her that she usually only runs 2 miles and on an indoor track. It's really different with the race "atmosphere" and all the people. I think she enjoyed it though and we're looking at signing up for another race.

Since the race got started late, we had to rush home to get ready for church. I dropped her off at home and ran to Subway since we were starving and she was staying after church for youth group.

I was really stiff and sore at church. Good thing I'm Catholic, so there was a lot of moving around!

All in all, it was a great race! emoticon emoticon (DD#2 way ahead of me!).
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    1885 days ago
    Congratulations!! That is a great time!
    1885 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by COACHMOMMY