30,000-39,999 SparkPoints 33,005

Polar Bear RUN!!!!

Sunday, February 24, 2013

I woke up to a cold Saturday morning in Utah, about 30F degrees with snow on the horizon. It was race day and I was about to run outside in a tank top and shorts for a 5K. I wasn't sure what to expect. I had never done an event like this before.

I got to the race and noticed about thirty or so people preparing to run. I got my race packet and was marked with the number #30 on my hand. I was a little nervous about the cold. It looked pretty grim outside as well. I felt comfort in the fact that it was only a half mile course that I could repeat to complete the 5K distance. If I felt too cold, I could give up at any point. I was hoping that I would make it the full distance though.

By 8:30 am, all the participants lined up at the starting line. Some people wore just shorts and some women wore bikini tops. There was even a shirtless guy in a hula skirt and an orange wig. I had a black tank top and shorts on.

We were off. The course was on a paved trailway that went across a bridge and had nice scenery. There was snow everywhere, even spread out on the running path. The crisp winter air was invigorating and the cool temperature seemed almost pleasant.

I was making good time and I was ahead of most of the other racers. I could tell that I was pushing myself a bit with my abilities. I wanted to do my best and the pace seemed to keep my pretty warm. I made it through the first lap. I got a paw print stamp on my arm and continued to push through.

I started to slow my pace, I was getting pretty worn out about the third lap. I started walking for a few moments to catch my breath. As I saw that people were passing me, I got back running again. I wasn't feeling that cold. I was sure that I would if I stopped running. I wanted to see this race through to the end. I kept going.

I was set on finishing 6 laps to equal a 5K (3.1 mile) distance. By lap four, I was feeling quite worn out. I wasn't about to give up though. I did noticed that the Hula skirt man, having already passed my several times, was still making the rounds through the course. He should have finished the race by now, I thought.

I had one more lap to go, but my pace was not as fast as the beginning. I saw a lady that was trailing behind me most of the race starting to catch up. I wasn't sure if I could keep her from passing me. By the final turn around, she got some speed and got ahead of me. I wasn't too disappointed though. I was still in front of a few people...

I FINISHED!!! The race wasn't timed. I didn't even have my stop watch on to see how I did. But, I checked the time and it was 9:10am.

There were many people out there with cameras taking pictures. I wasn't even sure if they were from the event or just bystanders of the race. Either way, it didn't bother me.

Later, I found out that the race was featured in a story on the local news as well as on the front page of the Sunday paper. I was quite excited about that. I have some of the links listed.

Overall, I really enjoyed the experience. I would recommend everyone do this race. I will DEFINITELY do this race again next year. It was super fun!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post