150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 169,931

My February

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Some of this will be a repeat of earlier blogs…..sorry ‘bout that.

DH and I flew to Utah to watch Weber State University basketball. We caught four games in eight days. Super! Weber won all four games.

The sweetest game was on Valentine’s Day, against the University of Montana. Last month Weber lost to Montana (at MT) by two points. Montana had only lost one (non-conference) game this season, so when they came to Ogden, WSU was ready for them. Montana scored first, but that 2 points was their only lead of the game. The final score saw WSU ahead by 24 points! Weber handed Mt their only conference loss.

Now, the icing on the cake for us: we scored tickets court-side. Part of sitting there included free soft drinks and popcorn, and at half-time we went to the club room and enjoyed fresh fruit, meat wrapped in won ton wrappers, heart-shaped cookies (it WAS Valentine’s Day!) and soft drinks. There was the largest TV screen I’ve ever seen, on one wall so we could see the half-time show and know when to head back downstairs.

The Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences joined us court-side, first asking for us by name. He sat on my left. Then the University President sat on the other side of the Dean after introducing himself to us. Yeah, I felt rather special.

Lest you think that’s all we did, we visited with DH’s two sisters who live in the area, and with friends who still live there. We also went to a planetarium and watched a 3D movie about the migration of Monarch butterflies, and then to an exhibition of mummies. Did you know that people in South America were mummifying people 3000 yrs before the Egyptians? I didn’t. There were also mummies from Asia and Europe. Fascinating.

Coming home: We were sitting at the airport gate when a man came in (in a wheelchair) and sat in the area designated for ‘first boarders’. He started coughing, and it was horrible. I thought he was going to cough up his toe nails. Then he lay down on the seats in that area. An airline person brought him a glass of water, which only sort of helped. I wasn’t the only one who thought he was deathly ill, and hoped the airline wouldn’t let him fly. As we boarded, medical personnel were tending to the man. We boarded and sat in the back. A man came and sat next to the window (next to me) and said he’d been taken off that flight once already. Shortly thereafter, he was taken off the plane again.

The pilot came on the intercom and told us that the man in the wheelchair would be boarding. I looked at my husband and asked if he minded that I complain (the only empty seat was next to me). He gave me the go ahead and I went tearing up the aisle. I told the flight attendant at the front that that man was NOT going to sit by me. A ticketing agent was standing just outside the plane and told me she would re-ticket me on another flight. DH and I got tickets on another flight leaving a few hours later. Unfortunately, it wasn’t a direct flight. Oh well. The agent sympathized with me (us) then told us that the man had had a collapsed lung. So WHO cleared him for flying???

We arrived safely home, praise the Lord. It was a great trip, and even the problem on the way home wasn’t so bad.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Geez, you'd think with pressurization issues, a plane would be the last place that man needed to be. On the other hand, he must have desperately wanted to go where he was going, see who he was seeing, do what he as planning to do since he was doing it while feeling so awful. God bless that man. I hope he was able to do all he needed to do and that his health improves. I'm glad you protected yourself, my friend, and took no chances with your own health.
    1935 days ago
    Hoo boy you had a full month!! Flying just isn't much fun anymore and it doesn't look like it will be improving any time soon.

    1940 days ago
  • 2BEHEALTHY2014
    I've missed you on the chat thread. I was hoping ht everything was going well. I'm glad you were able to get a different flight home.
    1941 days ago
    sounds like a good month - glad you made it home - without having to sit my the man
    1942 days ago
    WOW I am amazed that they let him on and had you take another flight. That doesn't make sense to me :( Glad you made it home safe and sound though and had a great trip :)
    1942 days ago
    Glad you arrived home safely. Hope you enjoyed your time away.
    1942 days ago
    What an exciting trip all around! So glad you made it home safely. We all really miss you terribly, me most of all!
    1942 days ago
  • FROSTY99
    Wow, I knew I didn't like flying anymore - it used to be so much fun. I worked for Delta many years ago-now I wouldn't look at the airline industry for a career. I am glad you had such a great tune and did get home safely.
    Here is to future wonderful trips!!!

    1942 days ago
  • AJB121299
    1942 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by IAMWINNING