Update... and perhaps a little TMI

Sunday, February 17, 2013

I haven't blogged for a while. Mostly because I have been very preoccupied with my health and just getting by.

As I've noted in a few status updates, my surgery was canceled due to an insurance authorization oops. I worked with the local surgeon's office to be tentatively scheduled for next week. Then I was reaching into a closet for something and felt a sharp pain in my abdomen. This resulted in ongoing and worsening pain that led to the ER. My hernia had torn even further. The local surgeon called my primary care provider and explained that while his ego wanted to tackle my hernia repair, he felt that he was "out of his depth", and needed to refer me to the University of Washington medical center. I had a CT scan on Friday, and images were also forwarded to UW.

My primary doctor called Friday afternoon with the CT scan results. Basically, my ventral hernia is huge... "about the size of a volleyball". Portions of small intestine, large intestine, and liver have herniated through the hole. However, there is no obstruction and blood flow is not at all compromised. It all boils down to this: I have a huge hole in my abdominal wall that needs to be surgically repaired. I continue to be in significant pain and am relying pretty heavily on medication.

And I am exhausted. Physically, mentally, emotionally. I spend most of my days sitting or laying down, doing very little physically in the hopes that the muscle doesn't tear any further. I don't have the mental energy to measure my foods and pre-plan what I'm eating. I'm trying to eat healthy options, but I'm relying on others to prepare my meals.

Since tomorrow is a holiday, I have to wait until Tuesday to hear from the specialist's office at UW. I am praying for a consultation appointment next week. This involves a 4 hours drive each way for us, as we live in South-Eastern Washington. But I will be there anytime they can see me. I HAVE to move on this. Waiting in pain can not continue to be my life. Besides, I started my FMLA leave from work on 2/6/13, and I only have 12 weeks of job protection.

HOWEVER.... I am surrounded by family and friends who are caring for me. I have a church family praying for me. I have a God who already knows the outcome of all of this. This too shall pass. I thank you for all the positive and loving thoughts, prayers, messages, etc that have been sent. I sincerely appreciate it!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post