Day 13 Check-In and a Medical Wake-Up Call!
Sunday, January 13, 2013
So, the last couple of days have been both good and bad.
First, some good things. I was able to see my psychiatrist after group therapy last Thursday, and we worked on my medication. So far, I'm feeling better. Also, we are *finally* dealing with my ADD, so I now have medication to help with that. I took it for the first time today, and it *really* helped with my focus, and I was able to exercise for the first time in ages! Sure, I just did some heavy-duty housework, but I worked up a sweat, and I figured that counted so I logged it. My goal for tomorrow is to try one of the videos on here.
Then the bad things. Well, I had to have a bunch of standard bloodwork done (fasting glucose and fasting cholesterol). My fasting glucose came back yesterday at 96, so still within the normal limits, but on the high end. Still, I was very happy with that. Today, however, my cholesterol scores came back. My overall is 207, which *actually* isn't bad, BUT my HDL is wayyyyyyy lower than it has been in the past. It's always been in the 60s, but now it's at 45, which is good, but I would like it better. My LDL and triglycerides are also high, higher than they have been in the past. This just adds to the fact that my blood pressure has been steadily going up over the past year.
I guess the good part about all this is that I know. I have so many medical problems. Beyond my psych problems, I have GERD and IBS, and a bad flareup is what originally led me here. As well, I am chronically anemic. Considering that I am 34, I know this isn't good. No wonder there are days I feel like I'm 80!
So what to do? Well, I changed my diet tracker on here to the "Heart Healthy" diet plan, along with the high blood pressure and high cholesterol plans. I've spent much of the evening reading about ways to lower cholesterol, and there are actually things I'm already doing, like eating oatmeal and other whole grains (for my IBS) along with nuts. I'm going to work to add 2 servings of fish to my diet per week.
So my goals for this next week?
1. Keep eating my fruits and veggies: I've been eating 2-3 servings of fruit per day, plus 2-3 servings of veggies. I was to move the veggies part up to 5-6.
2. Eat my oatmeal EVERY DAY. Good thing I made steel cut oatmeal in the crockpot today!
3. Exercise 10 minutes per day.
4. Switch from butter (sigh) to olive oil for now, eat 1 small avocado or 1/2 a big avocado most days per week, add a serving of nuts most days per week, and eat a serving of fish high in omega-3s 2 days per week.
5. Get my fiber up by cooking that quinoa that's been sitting on the shelf, along with brown rice.
6. Continue to track my cholesterol and sodium levels. I'd noticed that my sodium levels are really high, so I want to work on getting that down.
Lots to do, but it'll be worth it. Can't wait to weigh in again in a day or two.