End of the year and I'm looking ahead to 2013
Friday, December 28, 2012
This is the time of year when people assess where they have been for 2012, and where they are headed in 2013. I love this process! It's so easy just to keep putting one foot in front of the other, juggling all the balls of daily life, and forgetting about the big picture. Now is the time to step back and take in the whole forest. (I'm seeing how many metaphors I can cram into this one paragraph, LOL.)
So, I am very happy with 2012. I completed three half-marathons, and one sprint triathlon. I joined a gym and started working on other aspects of my fitness. But I have a long way to go!
For 2013, I plan the following goals:
1) I'm going to run in 13 races in 2013, of varying distances. So far my plans include the Polar Dash on January 1st, the Get in Gear 10K on April 27th, and the Fargo Half-Marathon on May 18th. Haven't planned any others yet, but they will fill in as I go. I want at least two others to be half-marathons.
2) I plan to run 1000 miles in 2013. That's about 20 miles per week, which should be doable with the training I will need.
3) I want to achieve a PR in the half-marathon distance, preferably 2:10 or faster. My best right now is 2:21, so that's a very ambitious goal.
4) I will continue to pursue the 50 half-marathons in 50 states goal. Fargo will be #4; we'll see what others I find for 2013.
5) I'm going to fit another sprint triathlon into the mix. Not sure which one yet.
6) Last but NOT least, I'm going to devote the same self-discipline that I have been directing to my training toward improvement at my job and financial status. Somehow that goal always gets placed last, but I need to make sure it is NOT least.
There. I said it. I put it in writing. Now I HAVE to do it.