100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 149,401

Trip to Las Vegas Dec 2012

Sunday, December 09, 2012

It started out a good week before we left. My SI joint locked up. Basically, I could not move my right hip. Just moving from a lying to a sitting position was enough to make me cry, and come close to passing out. The pain was INCREDIBLE. I've never felt so much pain in my life.

Nothing the chiropractor could do would release it. The day we left to catch out flight, it was still locked.

It was that day that I asked about what painkillers, etc I should be taking. I was doing my best to tolerate the pain when at home, but I knew I couldn't do it on vacation.

Anyhow, we met up with my son on the way, and the three of us flew to Las Vegas.

Over the first few days, I would walk as much as I could, but then have to stop to take painkillers. I was resigned to the fact I would not be able to run the half marathon with my son on Dec 2. Heck, I wouldn't even be able to walk it. I was heartbroken.

But we still plodded away. Enjoyed what we could of the vacation. Picked up our race packets.

On Sunday morning, I decided I was going to start the race with my son Ryan. It was his first ever half marathon. There were over 30,000 runners. It was a little overwhelming, and I NEEDED to do this. I would start, then bail out when I couldn't take it anymore. The plan was to try to make it to the north end of the strip.

Ryan agreed to walk with me as long as I could stand it. Then he would run to the finish line.

We finally got to cross the start line at about 5:30pm. It was already dark, and the strip was lit up. It was so beautiful.

The north end of the strip was 5.3 miles into the race. I was still feeling not too bad, and able to keep up a 15minute mile pace, so we kept going.

About mile 6.5, I was hurting. Bad. I couldn't keep up the pace, and didn't want to slow Ryan down anymore than I already had. I told him to go ahead and run. I would get a ride back to the finish line - they have a car that picks up the slower ones at the end.

So off he went. He ended up finishing the race in 3:07. Not bad for having walked the first 6.5 miles.

And I kept walking. And walking. And walking.

I had to stop and sit a couple of times, but just couldn't give up. I was going to keep walking until the car came to get me. Period.

Eventually, I saw the finish line. I was in so much pain, but also so tired of being out here for so long. I pushed and ran the last two blocks.

My finish time was 3:44. I am just amazed I finished at all.

The next day, Ryan and I talked. He enjoyed it, and is willing to do it again someday. I told him to decide when and we'll do it again.

Lee was amazed that I was able to go more than 3 miles, let alone finish the race.

I will be getting the marathon photos online here soon. They got some great pictures of both Ryan and I.

My hip is still a little sore, but not locked like it was. Today my legs are healed up as well - the lactic acid and muscle strain was really bad for the first day, but soon dissipated.

Oh, on this trip, we also saw the Las Vegas Dance Finalle. It's the UCWDC dance competitions I used to compete in. Lee loved it. We've decided we are going to Calgary in April. I am competing in Novice Pro-Am, and Lee might even compete with a two step. Time to get learning - for both of us.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    1958 days ago
    Very inspiring blog! Happy to hear that you are feeling better! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
    1959 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by BLUEROSE73