DR RESULTS ARE IN! (and I'm a little confused)
Wednesday, November 07, 2012
Hey everyone -
The nurse from the DR's office called yesterday with the results.. they are not bad (and I'll get to that in a minute) but I now have piles more questions I asked her to get with the DR and let me know, so this is likely update 1 of 2 to come.
Okay- the big stuff:
My hair loss- the nurse did not mention it at all, and just went over my results, of those none would indicate a low level of anything that would affect my hair.
So- I am waiting to find out if the DR just plain thinks it was lack of cals/nutrition/protein all of which will not show up now months later on a test, now that she's seen it's not something else.
thyroid is ok, liver function ok, and vitmain levels all ok!! AWESOME!
So what she did find, again none of wich speaks to my hair loss/thinning but likely stuff good to know and work on all the same:
1. Sugar is high. She said only slighty, nothing like pre-diebetic or to be alarmed but she wants me to A) watch my sugar and B) watch my carbs
Okay to confusion number one- For 1500 Calories I was already on the low side of the carbs (170-210) which a low carb diet is (50-100, or maintance from what I see at 130) So I'm super confused because I eat only whole grains, nuts, veggies and only one, maybe two fruits per day (if I have a long workout I eat 2 fruits, one a banana)... so how in the world am I supposed to eat enough carbs to fuel, stay low carb, get 25 grams of fiber, 48 whole grains, 5 servings of veg/fruit and be low carb????
2. Protein was actually 8.2 and should be 6-8 I think she said.... Now I had upped my Protein when the hair loss issue came up- this will be easy to lower a little and should be fine, but it begs the question looking at item number 1.. if I'm supposed to lower my carbs... and not eat more protein... what am I supposed to eat knowing that I am already at 1500 calories and should not really drop lower, but I guess I could.
3. My heart & cholesterol- I apparently have a slighty high cholesterol which is weird to me because I eat so good and add virtually zero fats to my deit that are not from low fat cheese, 1% milk... I do not use butter or oil... eventhough I should actually for my heart be ADDING extra virgin olive oil to my intake (small amount but still high in fat and I'm keeping fat at 30-60 grams... so impossible to have even lean meat, some dairy, and nuts and have fat left over for oil. So she wants me to take Omega-3 Fish Oil which is no biggie, twice a day 1,000 milligrams.
There is an overall concern that if I don't find a way to tackle the constant worry and dread feelings, and stress that this combined with some of the results in the blood work spells bad things for my future heart... so it is important I sort all this out.
I have a feeling my next splurges will be -
1. Finding a cognitive behavioral health professional to work on my aniety through before I end up on any medication for that.. (still so weird, I never thought it was such a big deal)
2. Finding a nutritionist to help me sort out what levels I should be in to get my bloodwork where the DR wants it while still eating enough to fuel my body for just general life and for the fitness time I book every week.
I am feeling like my previous program of weekends off is likely going to have to go... 2 days out of 7 could be making the difference since I don't track those days... Saturday I'm pretty free with my choices and Sunday I'd say I'm about 60% free and 40% smart... I might need to make Saturday 60/40 and Sunday full on good girl and tracking unless something special is happening.
OKay folks so there we have it... results. Now I go into research mode and back to the drawing board of my overall program...
I still have to say I am very very confused because I know m-f I eat so good it's crazy.. I truly am curious if slacking 2 days can cause such a breakdown in my results.
Key factor to know in case anyone wonders- My blood was drawn on a Friday... and I was a good sparklepie all week so nothing the night before that would have cause wonky results.
Tonight is my first ever session with a trainer... this should be awesome.
She is going to measure my fat, muscle and all that good stuff then help me get a program together to get the jiggly bits a bit more in shape and improve my overall strength abilities. oh yeah!