100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 135,333

My first full marathon!

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Didn't sleep at all the night before - went to bed at 10:30,and I think I got a little sleep, but not much... kept waking up constantly and seemed like the clock was NOT moving!! I finally got up at 1:30am and took a shower, dried my hair, sat in the sauna at a low temp (95) for a few minutes and got dressed. The alarm was set for 3am, but nope, I was all ready to go by 2am. I went back to bed at 2:15 and got up at 3:15am.

When I woke up, I started drinking my 32 ounce bottle of poweraid (not the zero, as I needed those carbs/calories for my run) and I ate a zone perfect chocolate bar at 3:30am. I finished the poweraid by 4am.

We left the house at 4am sharp (couldn't believe that as we pulled out of the driveway, the clock said "4:00"

I drank a slim fast shake 4:05-4:10 and then stopped drinking after that, as I didn't want to have to use the porta potty during the race.

It was SOOOO cold... when we past the bank, the temp reading was 35degrees.
We arrived at 4:35am and got the parking spot we wanted! Right near the start/finish line! WHOOHOO - after getting there, I closed my eyes and took a 20 minute nap in the van (set the alarm on the phone)
The bladder actually woke me before the alarm and we set out to find the porta potties and scope everything out.

First picture taken was in front of the start line at 5:50am

Can you tell I'm freezing! I wore my long pants, short sleeve shirt with my arm warmers and a jacket, gloves and ear warmers.

Have to share this beautiful picture of Union Station - isn't it so beautiful in the middle of the night!!

At 6:30 I made my final trip to the porta potty (I think I went 3-4 times between 5:30-6:30, I wanted to fully empty my bladder) And then I headed to the start. My husband spotted heating stations and I had to make my way over to them and warm my hands and body up for a few minutes, as I was FROZEN!!

The race started at 7:05 - since I was in such a mob of people, my husband wasn't able to get a picture of me at the start of the race.
But after it got started, I knew he'd meet me at the 2.5 mile and again at the 3.5 mile points, and then he wouldn't see me again until I reached the finish line.
At the 2.5 mile mark, I threw him my jacket - amazing how fast the body warms up when running in a crowd of people. Although when I threw him my jacket, it landed in the arms of the person next to him LOL Guess I'm not good at throwing while running.

2.5 mile picture - just before throwing him my jacket - as soon as he took the picture, I threw it to him.

Then at the 3.5 mile mark, I had him run with me for a minute as I took off my gloves and gave those to him (big mistake, as by the time I got to mile 5, my hands were so frozen - miles 5-11 I could barely even move my fingers as my hands and fingers were so numb.

All was going great... I was running with the 4:00 pacers and I was certain I would come in just before the 4 hour mark - I spent a great deal of time training for this. I read every marathon book, searched countless hours on marathon training online ect.
But in the days before the marathon, my left knee went out (was in a bad bike accident in June and since its been giving me problems) My chiropractor was out of town as he's in California running the marathon with his son. So I wasn't able to get it adjusted before the race. Right around mile 6, my knee went out :( I nearly collapsed... then shortly after that, my left hip went out. From that point on, it was a struggle. I ended up loosing the 4:00 pacer group... and I was passed by the 4:05 group, and then the 4:10 group.
I was in so much pain. My heart was rearing to go... my mind was wanting to go.... the rest of my body kept saying RUN RUN RUN... but that left leg wouldn't let me. There were several times I almost collapsed. Around mile 12 I stopped and got to the side of the road and tried to adjust my knee and hip. I stretched and prayed. I almost even laid down on the ground in hopes of being able to "fix it".

I then continued on the run. By this point, I was now passed by the 4:15 pacer group. I was bound and determined to get to the finish line. My 7yr old daughter was running in the kids marathon exactly 3hours 55 minutes after mine, and I wanted to see her finish (my guess was she'd finish between 4:10-4:15) As I ran, I (literally out loud) kept quoting Phillipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" then I'd cry (again out loud) "Lord please strengthen me" Yes, I got some looks, but I didn't care. I continued to pray those words over and over. I believe that God carried me those final 20 miles. There is no way I could have done that on my own.

When I got to the 18 mile mark, I called my husband to let him know that I won't be crossing the finish at the 4:00 as I planned/trained for. I told him how much pain I was in and that it was a struggle with each and every step on that left leg.

The teachers at our homeschool enrichement program had a relay team also running the marathon. There were 5 of them. As I passed the last teacher at mile 20, she got this picture:

I yelled out to her to pray for me and told her that my hip was out and that I was in alot of pain. She called the other teachers and told them, and my director/boss went to my husband to tell him I was hurt - he told her that he already heard from me (she didn't know I was running with my cell on me LOL) I was shocked how fast word spread, as when I crossed the finish line, I was approached by many teachers/parents asking if I was ok and told me they heard that I was hurt. They all were praying for me.

I crossed the finish line at 4:22:22 (clock shows differently, as I didn't cross the start right when the clock was started)
I came in 194/543 for my sex and 31/101 for my age/sex and overall placement was 756/1462

VERY proud of my results considering how much pain I was in and that I ran 20 miles without the use of my left leg!! Again, I couldn't have done it without Gods help.

LOVE that medal!! Yes, I was in so much pain, I could barely stand alone. Infact, as I crossed the finish, the volunteers could tell I was hurt and even offered me a wheelchair. I knew that the best thing for me was to walk it out, so my husband came running into the finish corral and helped me and was my crutch.

We went to find our daughter. She did great. I was really bummed that I missed ALL my students and daughter run, but they were all so happy to see me, as I was them. :)

After we reunited with our daughter, I went to get my "free BBQ" On my bib I had a "free beer" and a "free BBQ" tickets... Oh, lets just say that the marathon organizers got a lot of complaints from lots of runners...
When I handed my ticket over, here is what I was given:

When it was first handed to me, I took it and then waited... I thought he was giving me a sample to try and was going to get my "free bbq" (was expecting a sandwich and chips - when I ran the half marathon I got a BBQ sandwich and beans) He gave me that look of "what more do you want?" I then asked him for my free BBQ. He said "thats it" WHAT??? Really??
He said that was it and then pointed to the menu/prices of what I could order ($9 sandwich, um, no thanks!!)
After running 26.2 miles, and having a "free BBQ" ticket on my bib, I was expecting more than a SAMPLE of bbq!!
We ended up taking our daughter and going to Jack in the Box for lunch!

That day, night and next day, I couldn't move my left leg. I woke at 4am Sunday morning and couldn't even roll over in bed as my left leg hurt so bad. Mike had to help me put my shoes/socks on and even my pants, as I couldn't lift my foot off the ground. When I woke Monday morning I was able to roll over, but was sill in pain. By Tuesday I was able to walk again and lift my foot several inches off the ground and by Wednesday I was doing much better.

I still haven't been able to go to the chiropractor as he's still out of town. But my appt is for Tuesday. Other than my left knee and hip, I'm doing GREAT!! I bought a groupon for a massage a few months ago that I saved for this week, and on Thursday I used it. WOW!! That helped so much. After that, I felt like a new person - if only I was able to go to the chiropractor and then the massage, I'd be 100% now!

I keep thinking that one week ago today, I ran 26.2 miles - wow!!

Next race is April 20th. I'll be running the 26.2 again that day - my husband will be running the half, 13.1 miles that day. Then we'll be running 2 half marathons together after that (one in May and the other in June) and then in June we have a 5K and another 5K in July... then October we are already signed up to run this marathon together - that will be my 3rd full and my husbands first... then November 10, 2013 is when we'll be running the Athens, Greece marathon for our 20th anniversary. That will be my 4th full and my husbands 2nd full.

Can't wait for 2013!!!!

In the meantime, I'm taking from now through end of December off impact running. I'll only do eliptical running, biking and strength training to give my body/joints a rest/break. January 1st is when training will begin for our 2013 race schedule!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • PICKIE98
    Are you still a Sparker?
    2165 days ago
    Wow! You are awesome! I'm amazed that you ran that with all of that pain and you had such a fast time too. Hope you're back to 100% very soon. That must have felt so good when you crossed the finish line. I love your 2013 runs! Especially Greece! What a terrific anniversary.

    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    3085 days ago
    AWESOME!!!! emoticon emoticon emoticon
    3085 days ago
    Wow ~ Amazing! emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    3086 days ago
    Great perseverance, Corina! I don' think I could have done it in your shoes -- and after all of that, you still had a very respectable time! Take care of yourself. Wishing you a speedy recovery with lots of excitement in your future!
    3086 days ago
  • no profile photo CD7770942
    emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon
    3086 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.