100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 142,733


Monday, September 03, 2012

Hi everyone,

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support as I deal with the loss of my Dad. It's such a help and comfort to have all of you as my friends.

My new profile picture is of my parents and me that was in the video my brother Doug made of my Dad and our life together. These were taken in 2000, I think. The other one here of Arjay, Dad and myself was taken at the same time.
I think we were in Pa. in December for my father-in- law's 90th birthday celebration. His birthday was Dec. 2. He lived until January of 2001. We were so glad we went to see him that December.

As you can see I was a lot heavier then. I was also on large dose of prednisone for my asthma. See how round my face was? I also had a prednisone flush. Prednisone is a steroid, but it helped me breathe. I only use it now when I get bronchitis and I'm on it for a very short period of time. A wise Dr. was able to get me off it when I had been on 30 mg. daily and that is a lot. My lungs became dependent on it.

I'm sure I'll have more pictures as my brother sends them to me.

I said in another blog I would tell you some funny stories a little at a time about my Dad and me. Here is one.

Dad was a music teacher and was supervisor of music for 33 schools. He was band director before that and was able to teach every instrument. Dad's main instrument was flute so I thought I wanted to play flute like he did. But Dad said I'd have more fun with the sax, so when I was 9 he began to teach me how to play the alto sax. The first time I held the sax in my hands it seemed bigger than I was! I was finally able to get a "honk" out of it and to me it sounded like a wounded duck. I remember he turned to my Mom and said, "If she practices she is going to be a good saxophonist." Well, I did practice, and practice and practice. I made band and later I auditioned for district and regional band competitions and made both bands and ended up getting first chair in both for 2 years in a row. I went on to play in many churches much later in life and turned pro for about 4 years. I was known for my Gospel and Patriotic programs in the area where I lived. It was a lot of fun. However my asthma reared it's ugly head and I didn't have enough breath to continue to play. Anyway, back to my story...I later asked Dad what he meant by I would be good if I practiced. I wondered how he knew that from the honk I got out of the instrument. He said he knew it because most kids can't even get any sound out of it the first time they blow into it and I did. Through the years he helped me develop a very good, rich tone that everyone had commented on every time I played. I will be for ever grateful to my Dad for being my teacher and mentor and helping me to understand and appreciate all kinds of music. I don't play professionally any longer, but when I do play for my own enjoyment, I can feel him by my side teaching me. Thank you so much, Dad, for enriching my life with music.

P.S. If any of you have seen the movie, Mr. Holland's Opus, then you have seen what my Dad was like. I sent him that video as it reminded me so much of how he was with kids.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post