Half marathon PR

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Saturday (18th) morning was my 2nd half marathon. I was excited b/c I trained hard in HOT weather and worked on hills,too. this route was very hilly so I wanted to be prepared.
The weather was nippy at the start...about 45. We could see people's breath! My 10 yr old son ,Jacob , was running the 5k so we started together. (sorry, my camera cord is missing so no pictures right now).
I had planned on starting at a 9:30ish pace for the first 3 miles and then picking up steam to 9 min/mile or faster. I wanted to get as close to 2hr finish as possible. My previous 1/2 time was 2:11 last May.
The first 3 miles went just as planned. I started picking up the pace in mile 3 and was enjoying wataching the people, the farm/wooded scenery and the glorious cool temps! The sun was shining,too, which always lifts my mood. Plus, I was running with a secret that only hubby and I knew about. ;)
Miles 4-8 were fast and uneventful. I wasn't struggling at all. There was a few hills ,especially one, that had me gasping for air when I got to the top. But, I recovered well and kept on my way. Mile 9: my left IT band froze up. Not a snivel or niggle beforehand, just BOOM! tight. I was just turning onto a dirt road that turned into a tractor trail running between farm fields. At mile 10, my right IT band joined in! ACK!!! The trail got pretty 'rutty' and there were still some downhills that I was flying down. I paid attention on each downhill to lean into it and NOt heel strike. (I read ChiRunning a few weeks ago and gleaned some tips from that book.) But, going downhill after mile9 was hurting. And every rut,rock and uneven space was hurting the knees. Funny, b/c the left IT band flared up at exactly the same mile marker on my LAST half...without any warnings beforehand!
At about mile 11.5 we turned onto a horseback riding trail so we went from dirt to sand to grass to dirt and rocks and roots back to grass...I LOVED THIS COURSE! The last 5ish miles I think were 'cross country' trails! Anyway, I had been passing and been passed by white shirt guy most of the race. I was ahead of him with a mile left but with all the turns and inclines and different ground my knees were screaming at me! I stopped off the path for just a second to stretch. The white shirt guy passed me! ACK!! I also got passed again by a VERY NICE 30 something girl who had said kind encouraging words each time we came across each other. I couldn't catch her after that. BUT-I did pass another young lady who was way ahead of me and I didn't even see til the last mile. I passed her on the grassy grounds b/c she had no idea what to expect and had never been off the asphalt. I just kept plugging on. Pushing as hard as I could. When I got back into the campground and knew I was less than amile I pushed even harder. Still couldn't catch white shirt guy...he was just an arm's length ahead of me!! I heard my cousin and kids yelling for me...I didn't try to look for them, I was focused. Get to the finish ASAP! Jacob ran up the hill and ran with me almost to the finish. I'm so proud of him!!! He was cheering me on. the other kids were yelling for me and taking pictures(hope I find that camera cord) and JohnPaul(our 14 yr old) set in next to me to run me to the finish. I felt mildly distracted at that point but I was touched that he wanted to run with me so I said nothing. He let me go thru the finish line by myself.
Garmin time: 2:01:50 for 13.27 miles. Official time: 2:01:53(accounting for no timing mats so just when the gun went off and I was toward the back of the pack.) The U of M marching band was camping and so they were at the start and played soemthing...Revelry, maybe?? the song that you always hear when horses are charging.
I'm still floating high. I was tight and sore the rest of the day. took a short nap and rolled and stretched and rolled some more. The next morning I couldn't lay in bed any longer b/c I was so tight. I got up and walked a slow painful 2 miles.
We shared the news the night of the race with the kids: they have a new sibling on the way!!! All of them were super excited! They couldn't wait to tell everyone they knew but I made them wait for 24 hrs to post on FB til I could tell the people that I wanted to tell. I'm thankful that they're so happy to have another baby in the house. In fact, I've had a few kids ask more than once, "Mom ,can you have another baby sometime soon?" HAHA!!
Next 1/2 marathon is TENTATIVELY scheduled for Oct. 14. It's flat-on a bike trail here in our town. I'm going to train for it but take into account the fact that I might be too tired or worn out to do all the miles. I will definitely listen to my body since it's the one growing a new person and if it cannot handle long runs or speed work, then so be it. That said, I hope that I can do this b/c I really, really want to break that 2 hr mark and I KNOW that this course would be the one to do it on!!!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Congratulations on the race and the baby!!!
    3254 days ago
  • ELSAT137
    Congrats on the great run! You will get under that 2 hr time!! I wondered why your name changed - congratulations on your new addition!!!

    3259 days ago
    wow, you did it. So nice a new one is on the way
    3259 days ago
    Congrats on the run! Sounds challenging and fun!
    And CONGRATS on the new addition!
    emoticon emoticon emoticon
    3262 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.