Walk Across America Final Stats
Monday, July 16, 2012
My office held a Walk Across America challenge - here are my results:
Dates: 4/23 - 7/13 2012 (12 weeks)
We counted 2000 steps per mile, to make the contest about steps taken, and to event things out between the tall, short, etc.
Total Miles: 446.94
Lowest Week: 25.92
Highest Week: 43.94
Weekly Average 37.25/week
Our team of 5 walked a total of 1876.48 miles - not enough to make it all the way across the country, but pretty respectable. I've got to check the map at the office, but I think we're in 3rd or 4th place overall out of 14 teams - Not Bad!
During the past 12 weeks, I've discovered that:
- If I do my morning walk and gym visit, it's pretty easy to get 10K steps in per day.
- I really need to listen to my body so I don't overdo it and hurt my back (my discs are compressing, so I need to do PT exercises daily, or I'm in pain).
- Wearing a pedometer really does encourage me to move more
Changes I've noticed:
- I've gone from being able to walk for 30 minutes at less than 2 mph to being able to walk for an hour averaging 2.5 to 3 mph without pain.
- I'll keep wearing the pedometer, with a goal of 10K steps per day to start.
- I may just use the step tracker in Sparky to track my walking, as it's a consistent measure of my activity.