Well, I'll have completed my second week of 5k training after my visit to the gym tonight after work. Let me share my current progress with running and building endurance for my race on July 15th:
1. I no longer feel like I'm dying after my 30-minute interval runs! Woohoo!
2. My new shoes made all the difference in the world- my feet feel great!
3. I'm actually looking forward to my 5k days now instead of dreading them. It's like each one is a push to the next day.
4. Since I started my regular strength training, I have barely been sore at all after workouts! Hopefully my body will start to show the progress I'm making.
5. Even though I've been working out more, I feel a lot less hungry for snacks and late-night binging. I've only had one bad night in the past two weeks, and I've said no to my usual sweet-tooth stress snacking!
Next week I'm amping up the interval workouts to include a lot more running, and I'm actually looking forward to it! While this whole 5k thing seemed like a long shot a couple of weeks ago, I'm actually feeling like it's within my grasp now. I feel great! (:
Since it's a new month, I thought I should revisit my goals and lay them out for June...
1. Drop at least 10 pounds by July
2. Miss only one workout day per week max
3. Never miss a 5k workout day (3x per week)
4. Build muscle; burn fat.
5. Eat enough protein. Cut out the needless high-fat snacks.
6. NO emotional snacking! NO excuses!
7. Balance workouts, flute practice, and summer classes/work
8. MAKE TIME to go to the gym. There is no excuse!
9. Try a new vegan recipe each week
10. Don't get discouraged by failure.
11. Run 1.5 miles without stopping by July
I have great expectations for June -- I got this!
On another note, if you're reading this you should check out my Be the One Run 5k team, Portland RUNS! My goal is to raise at least $500 by July 15th in aid of patients and families awaiting their bone marrow transplant. All funds go to the National Bone Marrow Registry (Be the Match). You should think about making a charitable donation! Even $10 makes a difference!
Team Page: www.bethematchfoundation
Team Blog: portlandruns5k.tumblr.co