300,000-349,999 SparkPoints 329,922

Dear Husband's Surgery #7

Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 2012

April 26th, Jan has his third Post Operative appointment today. Everything is moving along the way it should. It is looking like another surgical hernia is not going to appear. Time will only tell if that is true! The next surgery is scheduled for May 22nd at the Skyline Surgery Center

April 4th, Jan had his second Post Operative appointment today. The rest of the staples were removed. He can lift up to 25 pounds now and he was released to drive. (YEAH !!!) Our next appointment with the surgeon is April 26th and we will discuss the next surgery then.

March 2012

March 30th, Friday Jan had another good day. He ventured out of the house with me and went to the bank. It was just a short trip but at least it was NOT to a doctor or hospital. The weather is beautiful in Colorado so he has been able to sit outside in the sunshine.

March 29th, Thursday Jan's first Post Operative appointment was today. Half the staples were removed from his 10 inch incision and he can lift up to 10 pounds.

March 27th, Tuesday Jan was discharged after a week in the hospital!!! They sent him home with a hernia belt that will control the hernia that they are not able to operate on right now. Riley is happy to have her lap back. We look forward to some quiet days around the house.

March 26th, Monday we celebrated as he was able to eat for the first time today. It started with jello for lunch. Our vet filled out Riley's visitor pass for the hospital and our groomer fit her in for the required bath so she could visit Jan at the hospital this afternoon. She did real well but she was most comfortable on the end of the bed. That way she could watch Jan and look out into the hallway. (See attached pictures)

March 25th, Sunday the stomach tube is finally pulled and he is so much more comfortable today.

March 24th, Saturday blood tests finally got better. They take him off oxygen. We have all waited a long time for this trend.

March 23rd, Friday blood tests tell us that Jan has stabilized. That is the good news for today.

March 22nd, Thursday blood tests indicate that Jan was much more fragile than they thought. His heart rate is still elevated. They end up giving him two more units of blood and start an antibiotic. He is moved to the room next to the nurse station so they can watch him better. His narcotic fog lifts a little bit. He sits in a chair and does three walks today. He indicates that he will be able to take visitors on Friday.

March 21st, Wednesday is lost in a narcotic fog. They have to turn on the bed alarm when I am not in the room as he does not want to remain in bed. He does sit up in a chair for awhile and takes one walk. He is very stable on his feet.

March 20th, Tuesday Jan checks into McKee Medical Center at 5:30 am. Surgery starts at 7:00 am. They attempt the laparascopic procedure and insert the camera. Immediately, our surgeons Blomquist and Keeler see that it is an angry mess in there. They have to make the large incision that they were hoping to avoid. It took 3 hours and they were not expecting to have to remove any intestines. They thought they were going to just stitch up the one hole in the small intestine that they had discovered in a CT scan. They end of removing all the mesh, all the upholstery tacks, two - one foot sections of the small intestine and the abscess. They finish just before 10:00 am. He ends up spending 4 hours in Recovery when they do a blood test and determine that he needs to be infused with 2 units of blood.

March 7th, We had our appointment with the surgeon this afternoon. Jan's laparascopic surgery to repair the leak is scheduled for March 20th. If all goes well, a second surgery to correct the hernia will be scheduled about 8 weeks after that. He still feels pretty good after the transfusions.

March 5th, The surgeons did their consult with that specialist who has made some suggestions. We will meet with our surgeon this week. No plan or date has solidified yet. Jan feels the best he has felt in over a year. Those blood transfusions are the only anemia treatment that he has responded too.

February 2012

Feb 22nd, In the mean time our surgeon, Dr. Blomquist, has determined he can do the surgery at McKee. A partner has agreed to be the second full surgeon in the operating room. They will do a consult with the University Hospital in Denver on Monday. Jan does not need to go and see them as his records can be shared electronically. We can expect a call from them about the consult early next week. If we can't get the surgery scheduled soon enough, they will do another transfusion and because the situation is under control, they can do that as an out patient.
Feb 17th, They did an antibiotic IV and two blood transfusions during the night. The next morning I ran into our surgeon and we both walked to Jan's room. He said Jan would not go home until they knew what was wrong. That afternoon they did a CT Scan, pushed the envelope on that testing and after about 2 hours they saw the small intestine leaking. The unexplained "mass" is an abscess that the small intestine is leaking into. It is doing a great job because his blood does not indicate an infection, just markers for inflammation. They sent us home with another oral antibiotic. Getting to the leak is a very complicated surgery. We have to wait for the surgeon to come up with a plan.

On Feb 16th, Both those tests turned out just fine. But Jan's temperature did not come down after he was hydrated. They thought he had vomited into his lungs when he fainted so a blood test and X-ray was ordered. The X-ray agreed with what they thought. We went home, started an oral antibiotic and then the Dr called saying we had better get over to ER because his blood tests were real bad. It has been a real rough 24 hours. Jan is in the hospital. They still do not know what is wrong. They are going to give him a blood transfusion. They said they were going to keep him up all night so I came home because neither one of us got any sleep last night.

On Feb 15th, Jan fainted in the bathroom at 10:15 pm. I called 911. The paramedics said he was dehydrated. We did not go to the hospital then because he had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy scheduled for 7am. The paramedics said that Jan would be hydrated by them before those procedures started so we should be okay in not going to the hospital.

January 2012
Jan gets worse every day. He is loosing weight and becoming more fragile. The doctors still do not know what is wrong. The insurance appeal was finally approved for the CT Scan. The CT Scan results only makes it more clear that we only have more questions and even fewer answers than before. They have discovered an unexplained "mass". An exploratory surgery is out of the question because of the mesh holding Jan together. The surgeon cannot really make any plans until the blood problems are explained. Jan is very anemic. Even after all the iron infusion and testosterone treatments last summer and fall, he has not shown any improvement. He should have gotten better living at sea level in Florida. The hematologist, after reviewing the blood tests, says everything is in the blood for Jan use and it is not happening. The good news is that he does not see any cancer or infection markers. We are all wondering about this pain, pressure and weird thing on his abdomen that is not a hernia. It has nothing to do with the "mass" that showed up on the CT scan. The appointment for the new specialist (gastrointologist) happened and he ordered a colonoscopy and a gastroscopy. Once those tests are done there will be more tests so that is why I have not put out an update before now. We have been doing the "doctor shuffle" since we came home from Florida.

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    God is so good and we thank Him daily for all that is good in our lives. So glad your DH is doing as well as He is. Prayers will continue.
    2242 days ago
    Continuing in prayer for you and your glad he is making such good progress . Keep us posted!
    Sarah emoticon
    2254 days ago
    Praising The LORD for the Healing HE is doing in your husband. I will continue praying for your husband and for you.

    2254 days ago
    2255 days ago
    Wow, Sal. I am praising God with you. What an ordeal you and your dear husband have been through. I continue to pray for healing and strength every day!
    2258 days ago
    Praising God with you for His healing power and love! So glad Jan is doing well! What an awesome update!
    2258 days ago
  • LINDAF49
    emoticon Praise God from whom all blessings flow ...
    Oh Sally i love this report - I am so praising God for the miracles He has done for you and I especially appreciate the picture you shared with us. This is so huge for your quiet , private personality. Thank you and I am so happy for the good news and love the puppy's involvement in all of it too. Such a blessing!!! Keep us posted and we rejoice! Tell Jan hi from the prayer choir. God keep blessing you!
    2259 days ago

    Comment edited on: 4/15/2012 11:05:08 PM
  • D-ABBY
    Continuing in prayer with you. It is a long road, but God is with you. Hangeth thou in there, O Baby, and you know where to find me.
    2259 days ago
  • LINDA!
    God bless him. emoticon
    2259 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by SAL1512