I am not much of a cook, but I have been trying to whip up some easy, healthy dishes. While I watched the fate of the Patriots/Baltimore game yesterday, I made this tasty meal:
Spinach and Feta Pita Bake
Here is the link to the original recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/s
- 6 (6 inch) whole wheat pita breads
- 1 (6 ounce) tub sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup artichokes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Spread tomato pesto onto one side of each pita bread and place them pesto side up on a baking sheet. Top with tomatoes, spinach, mushrooms, chicken, black beans, artichokes, feta cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
3. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven or until pita breads are crisp. Cut into quarters and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350 | Total Fat: 17.1g | Cholesterol: 13mg
Why I love this recipe:
- It is easy
- It is a bit different than what I am used to eating
- It is healthy
- You can add almost any topping to your liking
- The leftovers are perfect to take to work for lunch during the week
Many people suggested piling the spinach higher than you think since it shrinks while it is baked. And next time, I will season the toppings before I add it to the pita - it was a bit bland for my taste. Other than that, this recipe is a keeper!