100 Ways to Stand up for Your Health
Wednesday, January 04, 2012
I recently read an article by Dr. Levine that gave goals to get us moving. I thought I'd post these for inspiration, with stars next to what I am doing and exclamation points next to goals I will add.
100 Ways to Stand Up For Your Health
!1. Hide your remote. If you must watch TV, at least stand up to change the channel.
2. When cooking or baking, ditch the hand mixer and use a wooden spoon instead.
*3. Take each family member's laundry upstairs separately.
*4. When tidying up, put things away in multiple small trips rather than one big haul.
*5. Chop fresh vegetables instead of buying frozen ones.
*6. Invest in quality pots and pans; the heavier they are, the more energy it'll take to use them.
7. Paint, hang curtains, or finish any other home-improvement task on your to-do list.
! 8. Stand up and march during your favorite TV shows.
! 9. Rather than yell toward family members in other rooms, walk over to talk.
! 10. Stand while styling your hair and putting on makeup.
*11. Walk around your home, yard, or neighborhood while on the phone.
12. Hand-wash dishes instead of using the dishwasher.
! 13. Wash your car instead of taking it through the car wash.
*14. Put most-used items on top or bottom shelves so you have to reach for them.
! 15. Leave your cell phone in one location, so when you need it, you must go to it.
16. Start a compost pile in your yard.
17. Help your kids clean their rooms.
18. Organize a closet.
19. Rake the leaves as a family.
20. Give the delivery guy a break; when you order food in, pick it up yourself.
*21. Take a shower instead of a bath.
*22. Walk to the mailbox instead of checking the mail from your car.
*23. Plant or weed a garden or care for indoor plants.
*24. Ask for the paper to be left at the end of your driveway instead of by your front door.
*25. Give your dog a bath instead of paying someone else to do it.
*26. Instead of sitting and reading, listen to books on tape as you walk, clean, or garden.
! 27. Preset the timer on your TV to turn off after an hour to remind you to do something more active.
28. Slide a small trampoline under your couch and pull it out for Real Housewives marathons.
29. Put up more Christmas lights.
! 30. The next time it snows, up your karma and shovel your neighbor's sidewalk too.
! 31. Turn on tunes and dance while cooking.
This is a three part story, and I'll pass along more tips later. I want to focus on just three new goals to help me move more.
1. 30. The next time it snows, up your karma and shovel your neighbor's sidewalk too.
2. 27. Preset the timer on your TV to turn off after an hour to remind you to do something more active.
3. 15. Leave your cell phone in one location, so when you need it, you must go to it.
I'll check in next week, to see how it goes!
PS- The 5K training is going great! Thanks Sparkpeople and Couch to 5K!