2011 in Review and Hopes and Goals for 2012
Thursday, December 29, 2011
I had a number of stated goals for 2011 including exercising, practicing piano, going to bed at a reasonable hour, keeping the weight that I lost in 2010 off, etc. How have I done on those? Overall, fairly good.
I have continued to exercise every day for most of 2011. I don't believe I have missed a day of cardio since June or July, from my look back recently, even if somedays it was a very slow walk on the treadmill as I wasn't quite feeling well, or it was a short bike ride, etc. This summer I started bicycling a bit more starting with only about 3 miles at one time, but the end of the summer one bike ride was almost 20 miles. At the beginning of the summer, I had done 5ks and 10ks and a bit longer distances, about 7 or 8 miles at most, now I have done just under 12 miles at one time outside and did 13.1 miles on the treadmill at one time. At the end of the year this year, I also managed to make strength training at least a bout a 3 or 4 times a week about 10 to 20 minutes each time, also.
I failed on the piano practicing and the going to bed at a reasonable hour. Still need to work on the going to sleep at a reasonable hour and I need to decide if I really want to do piano. If I want to learn piano, then I should put in the effort. If I don't want to learn piano, I should stop the lessons. I know it is just that I haven't really set my mind to doing it, as it is hard to me and I don't learn things easily. I get frustrated when things get hard and about once a month shortly before that time of the month, I get doubly frustrated and sometimes cry during my lesson. (Which I really hate.) Sometimes piano just makes me feel so dumb. (As does dealing with my 14 year old son sometimes.)
I have managed to keep the weight off that I lost in 2010 and am still at a good weight, and in the healthy bmi range. Overall, I am pleased with this, but sometimes I wish I could tone up my stomach or something, without loosing more weight. I feel like I can't afford to loose more weight in my arms for instance, but my stomach just has loose stuff covering the muscles that looks icky sometimes.
Allright, so what do I hope for and will strive for in 2012 health wise and otherwise?
1. Continue exercising, cardio and strength regularly. I hope I can make strength training even more of a habit. I have just started the January bootcamp challenge which always helps me make it a habit. I also have to say the not working makes sure I have plenty of time to do it, even if I still feel quite busy. I am also contemplating walking my first half marathon. There is one in my local area April 30th, I think it was and I need to look into it and see if they have a cutoff time, as my 13.1 mile distance on the treadmill took me just over 4 hours. I also worry a little, as cooler air makes it harder for me lately with my asthma. Today was my first outdoor walk in awhile as it was fairly warm, but the others I have done lately have left my lungs a bit more on fire than normal. Oh, I also don't want to regress on my ability to bicycle distances, so in an effort to still be able to do that, my hubby bought me a new bike with an attachment that I can make it into my stationary bike. That is how it is set up right now in the basement. That thing gives me a great work out too!
2. I want to decide on piano if I want to continue. If I want to continue, then I have to put more effort into it, even if it makes me feel incredibly stupid sometimes. If I decide I don't want to continue, then I need to stop taking lessons. This is going to require some thinking and if I want to continue some stubborness and discipline.
3. I have been running a coupon matchup blog on wordpress that I would like to promote more than I have in the past. I need to hang up more signs around the neighborhood, advertise our coupon meetings/sharings a bit better and have a few contests, etc. I would love to also make some relationships with local non-profits or others, where someone would give me a small budget and a list of what the Waukesha Food Pantry needs each month and let me see what I can do. Now that I am not working I can't ask my hubby to front me money for my coupon habit in order to help others, at least I have a hard time asking him for it. And I don't have any money coming in to do it either. But I know I could do so well at it. This week I bought 3 boxes of Kashi cereal for $1 and 3 boxes of Post cereal for $2. Now if I could have gone back in to that store for another run at it, I had the coupons to do the Kashi deal again, I could have bought some good stuff for the Food Pantry. But I want to know it is what they need and I wish I could talk someone into fronting some of it. I have also considered trying to start my own grocery shopping business, but since so much of saving money with coupons is stockpiling, not sure how much I can save another person when I am given a list of here is what I need this week in these amounts, but I could try.
4. Recently, I decided that I needed to write that letter to my son that his baby book has a spot for. The mother sharing her wisdom and love letter... Will probably start working on that when he heads back to school, so he isn't around when I write it, in case I cry. (I am sure I will.) Lately, I find him so frustrating at age 14 that it is hard to not be angry at him. I hope in my letter I can help him see that while I find him very frustrating sometimes, I also love him very much.
5. I want to find a new church family that fits me. Maybe I will stay at the church I am attending, but attending is the right word for it right now, as I am not getting involved in other things much as I don't know hardly anyone there and people don't tend to talk much. The pastor will be leading a couple week bible study soon that maybe I will join. He will be sharing some of his Israel trip and the book of Mark, if I remember right. Good way to connect with him and with others and see if I can stay at the church I am attending or not.
I think that covers it, but I will let you know in a month or two how things are coming along.