Umm, yeah, you read that correctly. I gained 20 freaking pounds this year! BIG fail!!
How did I gain this weight, you might ask? Obviously it's not so you can do the same, but hopefully you can learn a thing or two from my mistakes!!
1. I stopped tracking my food
- For me, tracking what I eat is crucial to weight loss. I *think* I know what I'm eating, but in reality it always seems to be enough food for me plus my best friend!
2. I moved
- Okay, okay, I moved almost a year ago BUT I also left behind my supportive friends and my most favorite gym EVER!! I LOVED the people at that gym and I LOVED the BodyCombat classes! That love for the gym kept me motivated and kept me GOING! I tried a gym here and found some classes I thought I would enjoy, but they either only held them once a week (yoga) or they were so crowded it was bordering on dangerous (seriously!).
3. I quit working out consistently
- See above ^^^
4. I quit taking the pill
- Maybe a little TMI, but being IN my 30s now I didn't want to keep taking the pill due to the possible risks. In exchange for the risk of blood clots, strokes, etc. I now have acne and a puffier middle. Yay me!
5. I lost my inner food snob
- I'm a vegetarian - not an "in-your-face-trying-to-bring-
you-to-the-green-side" way, but I do talk about it. When I first went veg (2 years ago - WOOHOO!!), I was pretty strict about what I would and wouldn't eat. I didn't want to be "one of those" vegetarians who existed on cookies, swedish fish, and french fries. I lost 36 pounds AND I greatly improved my cholesterol. For the past year I've been much more lax on what I'm eating. I'm still a veg - and actually thinking of going vegan - but I'm not turning my nose up at some of the lesser meatless foods I wouldn't have been caught eating a year ago. See #s 1 and 2 for this one, too. It's much easier to see where I'm going wrong when I track my food, but it was also a royal pain in the butt figuring out where in the heck the food I want IS in a new supermarket!!
Soooo, WHAT am I doing about this???
1. I'm going to track my food. I'm going to make a list of foods I should eat daily, foods I should eat a few times a week, foods I can eat once a week (dessert - duh!), and foods that will never pass my rosebud lips!
2. I'm still a little overwhelmed and discombobulated by all the changes in my life over the past year, but I'm making a plan and setting weekly mini-goals (less overwhelming this way!). Weekly goals will also encourage me to try different exercises, which will keep me interested and keep my motivation going.
3. I'm getting married in June! Yippee!! For anyone who doesn't know, John and I got married in 1996 at the age of 18 (can you believe I had to edit my blog to fix my age when I got married?? Yikes!). We divorced in 2003 or 2004 (ha ha - can't remember!!) but have always been parts of each other's and our kids' lives. This coming year we are making it official again and tying the knot! And I want to look GOOD! (P.S. Who else thinks being married by a Shaman outdoors in Sedona would be amazing?? I'm trying to talk John in to it, but he thinks it's weird...)
4. I'm going to sweat and move my body! I've upped my arsenal of workout videos, found some exercises to strengthen my shins so I can run without shin splints, and still have some boot camp classes left to use. Bring it on - burn, baby, burn!!
5. I'm making a schedule. I LOVE lists (see #1 and this blog - tee hee!) and I LOVE schedules. If I know what I should be doing and when, I am a happy camper. I do enjoy some spontaneity, but I prefer to plan in advance. This will also go hand-in-hand with prepping food for the week on Saturdays and Wednesdays (see? I already have something scheduled!).