I guess it has taken me a couple days to really wrap my mind around this to be able to write anything remotely intelligent lol. First off... I can remember starting this journey. It really started in April of 2008...
Pic from then
I had a couple things happen in 2008 that woke me up to how bad I had let things go... I was on a flight and I had fallen asleep and I had nurse leave a card on the headrest in front of me because she recognized that my sleep apnea was that bad... I was becoming narcoleptic because of my sleep apnea.. That caused me to literally pass out while driving and get into a car accident... I found out I was borderline diabetic and borderline Hypertensive.. I had to have a c-pap to sleep... Seeing that I was slowly killing myself it was time to make a change.. So I started working out and eating better... I worked out really hard 5 days a week and ate super clean for about 4.5 months I dropped 51 pounds in that time. I went from 378 to 327..
I plateaued there and life kind of got in the way... I managed to maintain between 327-335 for about a year. Then 2010 came it was a rough year.. It was a pretty depressing year and it definitely had an impact.. By Feb of this year I was back up to 355. I had had enough.. I decided it was time for me to live the type of life I wanted. i was bound a determined to do that no matter what. I had to clear house and really try to understand what had gotten me to where I was.. I did and I had to come to grips that I couldn't change it.. Feeling bad and continuing to punish myself for thing I did not have the power to change was insane. I changed my mindset. I began to focus on me for once and I figured out the stuff that made me happy. So I decided at that point that my life was going to be about being happy. Not about things or expectations or anything else. Just really focusing on being the happiest person I could be. I would also work my tail off to have the outer me reflect the inner me. So thus I began the journey again..
I started on March 10th officially that is when I started tracking. Although I had reached 355 I weighed in that day at 351.6 I worked out for a little over a month and tracked what I ate initially with fatsecret.com and I lost about 9 pounds before a friend of mine who at that time had lost 70+ pounds suggested spark.. So I started here 4/12 at 342 pounds... I tell you that is one of the single best decisions I have ever made... While fatsecret had the tools spark had what I had lacked previously and that was support. I tell you it has made a world of difference. I wanted to lose the weight quickly at first like all of us do... But then I started to think about what happened before how i gained 28 lbs back from the last time I tried. I had to make adjustments....
Here are the adjustments I made that I think have helped me the most
1. Nothing is off limits... This is not a diet it's a lifestyle.. I have to be able to live this way the rest of my life so I decided even if it takes me longer to meet my goals I have to make this something I can do everyday.
2. There is always time... I am busy.. I have kids, family, friends, work.. For almost 6 months this year I worked two jobs.. I had to make time to do this. I worked out over lunch.. In the morning.. I walked when my kids went to bed... I made time... Because I am worth making time for..
3. Be open minded... I was never one to run... I hated it.. then one day I ran.. and it felt good.. so I ran some more.. I can run more than a mile nonstop that is the first time I can say that in 20 years.. But I had to get over the fact that I had told myself I didn't like running..
4. The more you help others the more you help yourself... Giving and getting support here has been tremendous.. I don't think of myself as a role model or inspiration.. I am just a guy trying to be the best me I can be... But seeing so many others trying to be the best person they can be has been inspiring and up lifting.. it has helped me challenge myself and push myself and helped me past this hurdle..
5. Every step forward counts.. I started this by walking.. In march it took me 21 minutes to walk a mile.. 156 (outside) miles later... I can run a mile in 14 minutes... sometimes you lose in leaps.. sometimes you take baby steps... Sometimes you take steps backwards.. You just have to keep taking steps.. You will get there...
6. Grow from mistakes and Successes... You always learn more from a mistake then a Success.. Mistakes, obviously, show us what needs improving. Without mistakes, how would we know what we had to work on?
-Peter McWilliams, Life 101
To avoid situations in which you might make mistakes may be the biggest mistake of all.
-Peter McWilliams, Life 101
7. Ask for help... This was big one for me... I found much help through people here on spark.. I got a trainer.. I had to recognize that it is ok to need help
I am not stopping here.. This was a huge hurdle... One that didn't even seem possible a couple years ago.. Not even in February... But I have done it... I am proud of it and it shows me i am more capable then I even will allow myself to believe..
I cannot thank the people here on spark and how supportive you all have been. Couldn't have done this without you and love you dearly for it. It has been such a blessing to revel in your successes.. to learn from each others mistakes.. to pick each other up when we fall.. If we could take this attitude of helping and supporting each other here throughout the world it would be such a better place!! Thanks again!!!
Now Back to WORK!!!! LOL!!!