200,000-249,999 SparkPoints 239,034

Las Vegas RnR Half Marathon

Monday, December 12, 2011

Vegas was fun, the half, well, it could have been better. Saturday morning, I went to my daughter's soccer game. From there, my son took me to the airport to catch my flight. I got there so early: 10:50 for a 12:05 flight. Went through security and got called out. They had to inspect my boots I was wearing. Seriously? It wasn't too bad. At least I didn't have to open my luggage. The flight was packed with runners for the marathon. It was so cool. The girls sitting next to me were running, too, so we talked the whole time. Landing wasn't too great. Very windy and bumpy. Didn't like it at all. Had to concentrate on my breathing so I wouldn't loose my breakfast! Took a shuttle to Luxor to meet SWEETNSKINNY and her aunt. I was so excited to see them. Loved her aunt!! Sat in the lobby for a bit and then went upstairs to put my bag away. Expo time!! Took the monorail to the Venetian (after walking forever) and then, had to ask everyone we saw with an expo bag where to go. No signage, not good. Expo, disappointing. I did however order myself a present: a bracelet with charms from the 2 half marathon's I did. Can't wait to get them. Keep you posted. I finally got to meet SLEEPYDEAN. Unfortunately, she wasn't feeling very well.

One day, I'll look like this!

After the Expo, we headed back to our hotel and stopped for a bite to eat at a Mexican restaurant: 2 fish tacos. Very good indeed. Got back to our room and relaxed.
Sunday morning, woke up and got ready to meet Aunt Terry's high school friend who was also running the half. Headed over to Excalibur and ate at a buffet. Disappointed. Had some ravioli and mashed potatoes. Hard to eat when your race is later in the evening. We decided to walk over to the Mandalay Bay and scope out where everything is. So glad we did. Figured out where to go, where to meet after the race, etc. Headed back to our hotel (so much walking!) and got a banana. Then, got ready!

Sorry it's on it's side, but I couldn't rotate it!

Headed over to our corral. It was oh so crowded. We heard that someone almost got into a fight. Aunt Terry left us and we found our way.

Getting closer to the starting line

We crossed the starting line at 5:58pm. It was going well except for the lady who decided to cross the street in front of all these people. Seriously!!! SWEETNSKINNY stayed with me a bit and then, gave me the ok to take off. And, I did. I was doing good until about mile 7. Quads were cramping up, but, I persevered. But then, a cramp in my stomach. Not a stitch which I can get rid of while running. A cramp. Horrible. Don't wish it on anyone. Had to walk a bit, but, was able to start up again. But then, came back. Let's just say that I did more walking then I wanted to. I really wanted to PR this race. As I was getting closer, I thought, maybe I will. But no, cramp was back again. More walking. Finally Mandalay Bay, but, where was the finish line? Around the corner and then, another corner. Finally crossed the finish line at 2:23:23, five minutes past my first half. I know, not bad, but, I was so hoping to do just as good or better. Got my medal and my blanket, picture taken and food. Then, all I wanted was to find Aunt Terry. And, when I did, I got my hug. That's all I wanted at that part. Found out the SWEETNSKINNY was about a mile behind me. We waited and the wind picked up. My daughter called me at that time:

Found SWEETNSKINNY and headed back to the hotel. We were both freezing and nauseous. Didn't want anything to eat. Just a nice, hot shower. after finding out that room service would take 1 1/2 hours to deliver, we decided to go get something to eat in our pajamas and medals. We earned the right. Chocolate milk and pretzel. Ate about a third and was done. Sleep please. Got into bed around 12:00. Exhausted, but couldn't fall asleep.

Next morning, we went to the Ventian to meet Aunt Terry's friend for brunch. Still not feeling all that great, but the buffet was much better: fruit, egg white omelet, waffles. After brunch, walked over to Caesar's Palace to get my DH some chocolate from a store that we love. Taxi back to the hotel and waited til my shuttle was coming. Back at the airport, got something to eat and then, time to board the plane. DH picked me up from the airport. Got home, unpacked and relaxed.

Now, I have to figure out when my next race will be. Have to coordinate with SWEETNSKINNY. And, I need to get my eating back on track. But, that's another blog!

Until then-

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Ughh so sorry to hear about your cramping problems. I ended up with indigestion for the last half of the race. So weird for so many runners to have had issues during this one. But it was quite the experience.

    I got one of the last chocolate milks in that little store too. And then ended up waiting the 1.5 hours to get room service. haha

    Aunt Terry was great huh? Her "kids" are lucky to have her as a teacher.

    It was great to meet you and I'm sure our paths will cross at a local race one of these days. Congrats on finishing half #2!

    2529 days ago
    Congrats! What an accomplishment...sounds like you had a great time. How nice to meet up with fellow sparkers too! Can't wait to hear about the next one! emoticon emoticon
    2535 days ago

    Comment edited on: 12/13/2011 9:44:15 AM
    2535 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.