100,000-149,999 SparkPoints 119,469

Rays of Hope

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On Sunday, I participated in the Rays of Hope Walk Toward the Cure. I had a choice of a 2-mile walk or a 3-mile walk. I chose the 3-mile walk. I had to park in a public lot away from the park where the walk began and ended (the lot next to the park was for handicapped parking only), which added to the walk a bit.

I had heard there were 900 walkers last year, so I expected a crowd this year. The park was large enough that the crowd wasn’t too bad.

There were a few vendors, such as someone selling hot drinks, soda, and assorted baked goods. I got tea (unsweetened) and corn bread before the walk. I also bought a maroon sweatshirt – a color that had been marked down in price (I decided before I saw the price that I wanted that color, as I’m not a huge fan of pink, and especially not the shade of pink chosen for breast cancer support).

They gave out T-shirts to all walkers. Plain white, with writing on them. They were also giving out shoelaces, but they were really knitted I-cords and more useful for tying onto ponytails or to a dog’s shaggy coat (as one walker did [never mind that we were asked to keep our pets at home]). I declined the shoelaces, but did take a free pink baseball cap.

There were a few speeches, and the walk stepped off shortly before noon. It took just a few minutes for the crowd to thin out and then I could walk at my own pace. It took me 64 minutes, according to my pedometer, to walk the 3 miles. Not bad, I don’t think. I walked a total of 4.5 miles on Sunday.

I didn’t manage to raise a lot of money, but I saw on the local news website that the two walks in the region raised more than $1 million! And the money raised will stay locally.

Immediately after the walk, I drove for 4 hours to visit my mom. I didn’t exercise much at all on Monday and Tuesday – days of rest, I told myself. But I started feeling restless on the 4-hour drive home yesterday.

I was planning to go to the Y today (I normally go on Wednesdays), then got asked to go to work early. So I worked out some at home instead. And got caught up on online stuff.

So…anyway…it was nice to walk for a cause, and I’m now looking for the next walk. I’d prefer local, but there’s a Hot Chocolate Walk and Run about 30 miles away in early December. That might work, if nothing closer comes along.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post