Don't know what to do, have to make decision
Wednesday, August 24, 2011
I have an enviable problem. I have a job AND I have a job offer--that comes with a $7/hr raise. And I don't know what to do.
There are frustrations with my current job, mostly with irrational and unresponsive upper management plus low pay, but I really do love what I do and where I do it. I applied for new job on the spur of the moment after being invited by a former co-worker who is now a manager for a competing company. I interviewed Monday & they offered me the job yesterday.
The down side of the new job is...it's new. There's change. Longer commute. I'll have to do some serious math to figure out if their health insurance is as good or better than what I have. Plus I'll have COBRA and 3 separate deductibles to deal with over the next 6 months. Going without insurance is not an option--one of my husband's meds is $600+/mo and between us we probably have 25 prescriptions. New job will only let me have 120 hours of leave on the books vs 240 where I am now. Since I know I have another hip replacement in my future, that worries me. My commute time would go from 15 minutes 1 way to 30-45 depending on traffic. Oh, and the new job is only 32 hours/week, not the 40 I thought when I applied.
Old job--I am seriously underpaid, even compared to my peers let alone what I could make elsewhere. Management does crazy things like only reimbursing for work-related mileage when they feel like it, and then at the 2005 rate. Yes, I've been trying to get them to correct this for 4 years w/no results. OTOH, my time is completely my own. I needed to leave work early & unexpectedly yesterday because hubby had a melt down and it was perfectly OK. I'm salary and they trust that I'll get my work done. New job, flexible but not like that.
So, I don't know what to do other than try to crunch numbers quickly today. I think the make or break points will be 1) flexibility, given that hubby's Bi-Polar is definitely NOT stable at this point and 2)projected net cost for healthcare. I want to make more $ mostly because I'm drowning in medical bills as it is, no way can I take a higher pay only to have it wiped out by paying more for healthcare. Even with the raise, I'll bring home about the same cash due to being paid for less hours.
Hell, I dunno, what do y'all think?
Oh, and did I mention that I was sufficiently stressed yesterday to stress eat all day and into the night? As in, I was supposed to go get fasting labs drawn this a.m. but can't because I couldn't stop eating.