My poor eating habits
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
I have been going over my calorie allottment pretty regularly for the last 5-6 weeks. The only time I didn't was when I increased my allottment -- but then my weight loss totally stalled. The only thing that changed was that I didn't feel as guilty as before LOL!
I think I need to look at the times/reasons/situations when I over eat and see what I can do to avoid that.
1. Sometimes I overeat when I am really, really hungry. Possible fix: Eat more often and thus don't get so hungry. This fix does not work in the morning, though, since I can't eat while I'm sleeping! Luckily I don't usually overat at breakfast. Possible fix 2: Slow down when eating instead of scarfing food down as quick as possible. This way I will be able to stop when I'm full instead of just continuing to stuff myself.
2. Sometimes I overeat when I am at restaurants. Possible fix: Nowadays, a lot of restaurants post their calorie information so I have been pretty good at reading up beforehand so I know what's good to order. But sometimes I overeat at restaurants because I'm just so hungry! See #1 above.
3. Sometimes I overeat when I see really tasty food. This usually happens when I'm really, really hungry. For example, the other day I was at Walmart and saw a jar of dry roasted peanuts and had to have some. So I ate half the jar. Possible fix: I've noticed in the past that if I don't take the first bite, I'm OK, but once I start, it's hard to stop, even when I'm thinking "I've got to stop eating this." This situation usually occurs when I'm really hungry. See #1 above.
4. Sometimes I eat the wrong things when I am someplace special. A few weeks ago I went to Las Vegas and ate poorly because I was thinking that it was a special occassion and I should eat some chocolate since I am not following my diet this weekend. Possible fix: Don't do that!
5. Sometimes I eat the wrong things because I get this funny feeling in my stomach. I have never heard of anyone else having this particular feeling, but I get it when I'm really hungry. It's a feeling like I'm super hungry and the only thing that will fix it is to eat something substantial, like carbs. At times like this, the thought of a salad or fruit just doesn't cut it and I am off to find something heavy. I have occassionally tried to eat some protein-heavy food instead but that doesn't usually work. Possible fix: Don't get so hungry. See #1 above.
6. Sometimes I eat the wrong things because there are a lot of tasty foods out there that just taste a helluva lot better than vegetables!!! And guess what? I don't like chicken. I'll eat it, but it's not my fave at all. I don't like most veggies. I'll eat them but again, not my fave. Possible fix: Learn how to cook better???
7. Finally, I have to confess that I still have not gotten to the point that everyone else seems to be at, whereby if I eat fast food or junk food, I say "Oh I felt so sick!" or "I can't believe I used to eat that stuff!" or my favorite "I actually prefer brussells sprouts over cookies." I still like fast food and junk food. It's tasty. Right now, I'm eating a fresh pear and it tastes fine, but I would totally rather be eating a big piece of chocolate cake!!! I don't eat the cake because 1) it's not in my lunch box and 2) I know it's not good for me (and yes I know an occassional treat is OK).
It sounds like, based on what I've written here, that my main problem is letting myself get too hungry and I should try to eat more often. I actually don't find it too hard to eat nutritious stuff if I'm not totally starving, so that sounds like the key. And I don't really have an excuse for not eating more often other than being lazy (I hate cooking and preparing food). I also think if I'm not hungry why should I eat and then go somewhere and get hungry and then there are no healthy options around.
What do you think? Does any of this make sense????