Making a Real Change (long post)
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Today's post is a list of things I love about my new lifestyle and reasons I know it will last:
1) I found a workout I LOVE. TurboFire, anyone? Chalene Johnson is my favorite fitness instructor of all time. She's cheerful without being grating, realistic, inspirational, fun - she's just awesome. I still use my TurboJam DVDs, but it's nice to have the variety of TurboFire. You're in, you're out, you worked hard, the end! After years and years of hating exercise, I think I figured out why: I didn't like what I was doing. But kickboxing and roller skating are two of my favorite things. I'm so happy I figured out what I like! I don't DREAD working out anymore! Also...I'm starting to not mind sweating. JUMP BACK!
2) My body is starting to feel more solid. I'm more in tune with my body and what it needs. It's not the enemy now that I'm taking care of it. We're communicating and it's working out very well.
3) One of the biggest differences this time around is that I actually use the community support on SparkPeople. Time and time and time again, I would just use the nutrition and fitness tracker, read the articles, and then log off. I never realized how powerful it was to join teams or comment on other people's pages. It's so, so, so nice to find people quite similar to yourself in the same boat you are, who are ENTIRELY non-judgmental and only provide love and support.
4) My motivations are more concrete than they've ever been. They range from superficial (I want to look smoking hot!) to the serious (I want to represent America well when I'm abroad by being the healthiest, best person I can be). I've put most of my motivations beyond myself, and that's made a big difference. It's more important and urgent if I do it for the environment, my country AND myself.
5) I am entirely convinced this is MY TIME in life. I've reconnected with my estranged father after years of anger, pain and resentment for his years of emotional abuse. I've arranged to study abroad 2nd semester in my dream location - India. I'm single but I'm ready to receive love. And I'm going to move forward with my life in the healthiest body I can create.
I've never felt this awesome about myself or my life before. Maybe being a "grown-up" isn't so bad...