My new commute, day 19

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Today was a great day. I biked to and from work, and it actually seemed a little easier. Really! I am not sure I was going noticeably faster, but my legs didn't ache all the way uphill as they usually do. My new tires are also working well (so far). It was a little bit on the hot and muggy side, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Remember what I said yesterday about thunderstorms and trees? Well, guess what?! There were about 8-10 fallen trees across *my* section of the trail today -- so many that I stopped counting. That must have been some storm! Fortunately, there were relatively straightforward ways to get around them, and a couple of guys even stopped to help me across the harder ones. That's a first! By the time I rode home, all but two of the largest ones had been cleared.

When one of the other bikers commented that he thought it would/should have been a bigger priority to clear the trail, I pointed out that our hard-working park rangers were probably still busy cleaning up after the "big birthday party" on the Mall yesterday.

Speaking of which, downtown was kind of a mess today. The portajohns hadn't been removed yet, and there were temporary fences in unexpected places on the Mall, put up, no doubt, for crowd control. I wasn't the only biker mislead by a sign that said "Pedestrian Detour." Except that the "detour" didn't actually lead anywhere, momentarily stranding me in a fenced area with no signs to help me find a way out in the direction I wanted to go. I tried to warn other bikers, but nobody was listening. They must have been wearing headphones or something.

All of the people I saw in Park Service uniforms were busy picking up trash. It's really too bad that there was so much of it. As someone who had lived in the Washington metro area for many years, I watched the fireworks from the comfort of my couch. I've seen them many times before, and I wouldn't have enjoyed the crowded and stuffy subway trains, the broken escalators (see today's NY Times), the delays and the out-of-service elevators. Hopefully by tomorrow the Park Service staff can start to get on with their regular work.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    I really enjoy your blogs. I usually check to see if you have posted new ones periodically. With my dad's health (see my last blog) I don't get a chance to check every day.

    I may get me a bike this weekend. There is a guy in the church that gets bikes at yard sales and such places, then fixes them up. My great-niece got a good one from him for minimal cost. So I am planning to visit his place Saturday and am hoping I will be able to get one. Then I can start looking at riding to and from work (only about 3 miles round trip) which will save on fuel costs.
    3481 days ago
  • no profile photo CD2112467
    I guess those falling trees aren't just legend!
    3483 days ago
    Glad to see you're still out there pedaling to and fro!

    That's terrible about that cyclist who was killed by the tree, but in the grand scheme; it was his day.
    3483 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.