5 Things Which Are In Season
Friday, June 24, 2011
Just thought I'd enumerate a few healthy things to eat which happen to be in season at the moment:
1) Spinach. Spinach is just fantastic. It's such a versatile and nutritious green. Salad, check. Add it to marinara with a bit of bacon or ham, check. Sautee it in a bare teaspoon of olive oil with garlic, check. Make palak curry with it, check. I just love spinach.
2) Tomatoes - they're starting to ripen, soon they will be gracing my plate daily. My tomato plants...yum.
3) Cantaloupe and other melons - MELONS RULE! They are not just breakfast food, they're lunch dinner and dessert food. Add a paper-thin slice of prosciutto and they are haute cuisine. Regardless, they're nutritious and delicious and perfect RIGHT NOW.
4) Squash - Summer squash are just coming into season, but I'm happy to get the jump on them. I love 'em quartered and grilled with lemon juice, salt, and pepper on them.
5) Strawberries - Delicious, ripe, and nutritious. Now is the time to abuse them mightily.