The joy of NSVs
Thursday, June 02, 2011
I decided to celebrate National Running Day yesterday by taking my butt out for a run for the first time in over a year (since my 5k). While I've kept active since my last blog, I know that running is kind of it's own breed of exercise so I wasn't expecting much of myself.
Regardless, I laced up my runners, took the Ipod and headed out to the bike path with the hubby and the hound. They took off walking in one direction and I ran in the other direction until we met up somewhere along the way.
25 minutes later, I met up with them at the car and came to several thrilling realizations:
1. I had knocked out almost 3 miles...which was my max distance before.
2. When I first ran into hubby and hound on the path (which was my goal), rather than enjoy a walk with them back to the car, I screamed that I was going to do one more loop and meet up at the car.
3. When I got back to the car, and was talking to the DH, my heart rate was back down to normal within what seemed to be no more than a minute or two...which was NOT the case when I used to run.
4. I could have gone longer, if it weren't for nature calling loudly (I forgot about that whole part of longer runs haha)
5. Most importantly....I WANTED to go longer.
If that isn't a testimonial for Turbo Fire and HIIT, I don't know what is.
(Thanks to Chalene for making me feel as bad ass as she always looks!)
It may not seem like much...but this was a HUGE motivator for me. The fact that I was capable and actually enjoyed running, without just trying to survive a certain amount of minutes before I could walk again...was completely new to me.
I can't wait to go out again and work it into my weekly fitness.