Half Marathon #2 Report

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ahhh, the report is overdue. My race was 10 days ago. I'm sssooo happy to report the weather was great (by Vermont spring standards)..sunny, not too windy, and 40's.

I woke up in the middle of the night on the eve of the race with a wicked sore throat. My kids had been sick and I figured I was due. I went back to sleep.

My running buddy's husband and family took us to the start where we psyched ourselves up for 20 minutes. Hit the port-o-let once. Discussed wardrobe & bathroom psychoses. Pondered a repeat trip the the loo before race time, but figured it was a nervous pee and not worth the long line that built up after our trip (whew!).

We started out a little fast, but slowed a bit at my request. I just wasn't feeling it.

Our plan, as the last race, was to enjoy ourselves. No need to break records. It was about meeting the goal, training through god-awful late-winter and early spring, being together, and running the distance.

My partner developed plantar fasciatis a few weeks before the race day, so we'd check in now and then on her heel. I still struggle with pain in the balls of my feet, and by mile 7 they were hurting. By mile 10 they were screaming. Just the way it is.

We befriended some young college girls running their first half. We chatted it up. We screamed "More Cowbell!" to the very few and far between cheering squads on the sidelines who were also ringing cowbells.

There were not many mile markers and I didn't bring my own water. I wish I had. I just didn't get enough water on the course.

We saw a teacher from school rooting on her husband from the sideline. She was so excited to see us, but man, we needed her as it was at about mile 11 and a stretch I thought was shorter and flatter than it was. I actually surged early...around mile 11 not realizing I had a tough hill ahead of me. By the time I got to mile, I dunno, 12.5 I felt spent.

I kicked it up a notch, and ran through the pain in my feet and the tightness in my chest.

We crossed at 2:07 and some change. I think it was 3 minutes more than last November's HM. My running partner thought it was exactly the same. There was some confusion about the actual length of the race..13.1? or 13.4? that could make a difference.

After crossing the finish line, I felt nauseous. I was not. When I got home, I felt nauseous. I was not. I think I was super dehydrated. I also figured out I had a bad cold -- not just a sore throat.


We did it. I did it. I ran two half-marathons in less than six months.

And like the last one, I want to do another one. I learned a few things on this one!

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    That's a great time!! I'm still aiming at 2:15 so you guys rocked it out!
    2558 days ago
    Awesome -- and great time!
    2559 days ago
    Congrats and great job!!
    2559 days ago
    Great job! Was this at the Unplugged? When I finally decided that I thought that I would be ready for a half marathon in April, it had already sold out. But the Shelburne Spring Half is May 14th. They had to reroute the course because they couldn't go through Shelburne Farms (there is some sort of event going on there). The gossip is that it will be easier than the Fall one. I am not sure if it is filled or not. The other one that I really like is the fall Leaf Peepers. If you want to run that one, register in June or you won't get in.

    I ran the Sap Run from Swanton to St. Albans last Sunday. I finally got the ChiRunning down and I can proudly say that I am no longer a heel striker. My injuries are finally healing. I ran the whole race ChiRunning and surprising ran a pace faster than I did last year! I got 2nd in my age group.

    Take Care!
    2559 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.

More Blogs by JULESINVT