250,000-299,999 SparkPoints 261,738

Spring Break - 2011

Monday, April 04, 2011

We've just returned from a wonderful ten day vacation. My husband and I made the trip with our daughter and her family: My daughter Brenda, her husband Jim, my granddaughter Andrea who just turned 18, her boyfriend, my grandson Austin who is 15 and his buddy Kyle. Quite a group!

The trip down we went straight through - boy, that's a long haul! The weather was fine and the kids were on their good behavior - much easier now that they're older. They slept most of the way since we left in the evening hours. The trip was uneventful except for hitting a lot of smoke in Georgia from the wildfires there. That was a bit scary. We also made a stop to fuel the van and when we got back on the freeway, we heard it was closed ahead because of a bad accident.....we detoured, and wondered if God had protected us from being there when it happened.

When we filled the van the first time as we headed out - it cost us 87 cents for thirty gallons! I had bought Disney cards at Giant Eagle for fuel perks so the gas ended up being 2.9 cents per gallon! The second fill up was eighty seven DOLLARS! It got worse. Gas was $3.38 on the way down - $3.78 on the way back. OUCH!

We stayed at the Disney resort - Pop Century and had the 7 day park hopper passes. First day, after relaxing at the pool, we went in to Epcot for awhile. We had told GS's friend to be sure to use sun block - he said he didn't like the stuff. Needless to say, he burned! Actually I think he had a dose of sun poisoning - his face swelled some. Gave him after burn lotion and benadryl.

The next day we spent at Magic Kingdom. Even at 70 years of age, I still get goose bumps seeing Cinderella's castle! My son in law's father and his wife joined us there and SIL was sooooo thrilled to spend a day at Disney with his father. Once again, GS's buddy was the center of drama - there was a kid sitting behind him on the shuttle bus ride back to the motel that night that got sick and threw up all over the floor, splashing it all over Kyle! Good thing he has a sense of humor! Oh - earlier in the day, a bird left a deposit on him, too. LOL

Sunday we were back at Epcot with SIL's father and his wife for the day. That's such a wonderful place....we love the "Showcase of Nations". SIL loves Germany - always gets his brats and there's a German brandy he bought that he used to drink when he was in the Army in Germany. They also sell it in dark chocolate candies with a cherry and a little of the brandy in them. YUMMMMMMY!

Monday was the BIG day.......went to the Yacht Club to meet PEGGYO (Peggy) and WATERWEEZE (Kathy), two of my dearest Spark friends. They are on the Fun Loving People Over 60 team with me which is my very first Spark team. We've been friends there for over three years now and what a thrill it was to meet in person! I ended up getting there late - didn't realize that if we took the shuttle bus to Epcot, which is the closest to Peggy's resort, we couldn't get a transfer to the resort from there! ONLY way to do it was to walk - and it was raining. So I got there a little damp around the edges. Peggy said I should have asked her - she's the "Disney Expert!" LOL Had we taken the bus to Magic Kingdom, THEN we could have taken one to the resort. Live and learn! But they were waiting patiently in the lobby for me and I recognized them all immediately. Lots of hugs exchanged and just had a great time! We had a wonderful lunch - toasted with some white sangria - and had a few of those dark chocolate/brandy candies I brought along for dessert. :) It was like we'd known each other forever and I truly hope it's the first of many meetings between us. Their husbands are great guys, too!

Tuesday we were at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. Somehow I got talked into going on the Yeti ride! OMG - never again! But the shows were great fun!

Wednesday my daughter's stepson and his family joined us at Magic Kingdom. Their children are 2, 4 and 10. What fun it was watching them enjoy it all. Seeing the 2 year old in Small World was like seeing Andrea all over again - she LOVED that ride so much. She would ride it over and over and one year sat on a bench sobbing when we had to leave the park....she wanted to know why we couldn't take it home with us. LOL

Thursday we were supposed to go to Cocoa beach, but the weather had other ideas. There were thunderstorms and tornado warnings ALL day long! We stayed at the resort for the day but did splurge a little and went down to the food court for dinner.

Friday we headed north, stopping first at Daytona Beach for a couple of hours and then in Georgia to see a girl who used to work in my daughter's salon. Her husband is in the Army, stationed in GA, and their baby girl just turned a year old. TOTALLY surprised them - they had no idea we were stopping! That was fun! We were only there a couple of hours, then on to Columbia, SC where we were meeting up with a high school friend of my daughter's and his family. We went to the zoo and botanical garden with them on Saturday. Worked out really well - I have a membership to Cleveland Zoo and theirs is a reciprocal zoo, so we all got in free! It's a lovely zoo! Had a cookout at their home that evening, they met us for breakfast Sunday morning and then we headed home!

We packed a lot into that vacation.....everyone had a wonderful time. Now it's back to reality - doing laundry, paying bills, watching it rain in LOVELY Ohio (probably an inch and a half today) - but hey - soon it'll be nice and warm here............
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post

More Blogs by JHOPPER