The Art of Extreme Self Care - Chapter 12
Friday, March 04, 2011
Reflections on Chapter 12 “You’re Extreme Self Care First Aid Kit”
This chapter was about helping us to prepare A PLAN for life’s challenges ahead – to think ahead to what steps we’ll take when life becomes overwhelming, too stressful, or when a crisis happens. What things can we do on a “physical, emotional, and spiritual level that will bring us comfort and steadiness?”
My Self Care First Aid Kit
1. Who can talk me down from the ledge?
- D.M. or D.H.
2. Who are the people do I need to avoid?
- particular coworkers and family members who will just amplify the drama and who do not offer constructive feedback.
3. What does my body need to feel good?
- Sleep. Warmth. Sunshine. Being out in nature. Food every few hours. (low blood sugar issues)
4. What responsibilities or commitments do I need to postpone or forgo?
- Give myself permission to take time off work. Give myself permission to forgo housework.
5. What behaviors do I need to avoid?
-I should stay away from wasting my day in front of television and too much Internet because they tend to contribute to depression and low energy.
6. What spiritual practice best serves my needs?
-Yoga and meditation help me feel calm and present. Focus inward, attention outward.
7. What comforts me at this time?
- Slow and quiet. Rest. Massage. Warm baths. Hot chocolate.
8. How can I best express my feelings in a healthy way?
- Journaling. Seeing a therapist. Truth telling, no matter how uncomfortable this will make me.
9. What object or talisman will help to center me and ground me?
- Hmm. I don’t take comfort from objects in that particular way. But I DO like going to a certain house of worship that I feel comfortable in and where I feel welcome and that supports my beliefs.
10. What’s my best healthy distraction?
- Going for a nice, long, easy walk in the neighborhood. No pressure to perform, just some fresh air and a relaxing stroll.
It feels SO GOOD to have a plan of action to go to any time I am feeling off balance!
*IRONY is not dead. Not 5 minutes after I finished writing this, I got sucked into a HUGE work drama – and I wasn’t even at work today! It all happened in a flurry of emails and text messages. *sigh* I immediately turned to this list, and WOW I’m glad I had it. I am effing exhausted. Now excuse me while I go lick my wounds and whimper off into the distance….